Updating BIOS without being able to see anything

Just built a server I posted on here about a while back.

I'm using Intel Xeon 2620 v4 CPU's (Broadwell) and the motherboard needs an update to support them  (Gigabyte MD60-SR0). Now the board touts the ability to be able to update BIOS without even needing to be switched on (just needs PSU connected with power). However, for the life in me I can't get this to work.

The server seems to boot, but nothing comes over the display. Fans kick up, then ramp down to a usual level, seemingly indicating that it's not stuck at the POST screen. The BMC LED is flashing on the board, which indicates that it's ready, and I'm plugged into the network using that port. All the instructions for BMC show getting the IP address from the BIOS to connect to (and ability to set static IP when needed). It also doesn't show that it needs to be enabled, that it is by default, which is good.

However, I can't see anything on the display and therefore I can't update the board.

The board is also currently missing RAM. I tried with my non-ECC DDR4, but later realised this board only supports ECC RAM.

What are my options? The RAM should arrive in a couple of days. Is it possible that the lack of correct RAM is stopping the VGA from working? Do I need a supported CPU to update the BIOS first?

You need to update the board remotely using the IPMI web interface. You can't do it locally on the server/motherboard itself without a working supported CPU and RAM. Just give the motherboard power as required and connect up the primary/IPMI NIC and check your DHCP server for the IP address then on another computer connect to the IP and upgrade the bios.

Yeah I've been trying to see it on the network using an IP scanner. I'm connected to the port for remote management, but can't see it on the network.

Earlier, there was an Intel MAC vendor (the only one in the whole office) showing. So, I unplugged, rescanned, it disappeared, plugged back in, rescanned, nothing :/

Bit of a relief that I won't need to buy a CPU though, ha.

Personally I've never had much luck getting default IPMI to work when it shares a NIC rather than having a dedicated NIC. Granted I've not really tried since I've only used 1 server like this, some random Intel thing. I normally use HP, Dell and IBM servers which all have dedicated NICs for what they call IPMI (iLO, IMM, iDRAC).

Edit: On further looking it seems that board does have a dedicated IPMI port, that should make things easier.

Still no luck on this. It's definitely connected to the network, there is activity (via the LED's on the port itself), and the BMC LED is flashing to indicate it's ready.

5 minutes ago, MattBoothDev said:

Still no luck on this. It's definitely connected to the network, there is activity (via the LED's on the port itself), and the BMC LED is flashing to indicate it's ready.

Checked your DHCP server to see if it has gotten an IP?

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be doing. I may try directly connecting to that port using a patch cable

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2016 at 5:38 PM, MattBoothDev said:

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be doing. I may try directly connecting to that port using a patch cable

You could try connecting straight up to it and using wireshark to see the trafic, that should give you an idea if it is requesting an ip or if it has a static ip. What board do you have, I could not find a whole lot about the Gigabyte MD60-SR0

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler