Connecting to a network and hiding your connection

theereal

I need some help, Is there a way to connect to a network over WiFi (that you know the password of) but when the person who owns that network wants to check how many devices that are connected, It doesent show that you are connected?

Spoof a device that is known to be connected to the WiFi, but rarely talks on the WiFi? 

I can only think of two options:

1. Very specific software barely touching the line of the ilegal.
  2. Good (I mean, really good) knowledge of computer science security. The level needed to do this would be similar to that of a graduated student of computer security.

Also poorly defended Wifi's will make the task much easier.

What's the purpose anyway?

Depends how knowledgeable the owner is. If they just look at DHCP leases then simply using a static IP address will hide you. If they do a ping sweep then you need to block ICMP responses. If they look at the ARP table of the router/gateway then you need to clone a MAC. If they fingerprint the devices then you're pretty screwed.

5 minutes ago, Train27 said:

Good (I mean, really good) knowledge of computer science security. The level needed to do this would be similar to that of a graduated student of computer security.

Lol, it doesn't take a graduate level background to spoof a MAC. 

On that note, most "secure" WiFi doesn't just use a single pre-shared password, but rather, uses password sets that are generated for each individual client, usually authenticated by a backend Kerberos server.  So you might be able to break the Ethernet level stuff (by spoofing), but you're not going to avoid detection and still pass your packets in on account of the encryption.

9 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

So you might be able to break the Ethernet level stuff (by spoofing), but you're not going to avoid detection and still pass your packets in on account of the encryption.

I was talking about a good "intrusion", not a 10 minutes youtube tutorial on how to look super hacker to your friends. I was assuming he wanted to be 100% invisible to the wifi provider.

11 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Lol, it doesn't take a graduate level background to spoof a MAC.

Yeah as if Macs were the real deal on computer security or anything...

To build on what @Mark77 said - majority of people exploiting wireless networks aren't a graduate of anything, just people who dedicated time to learn.

A 10 minute tutorial on youtube can actually net you a "good" intrusion. Good is subjective - are we talking about a home network with no IPS/IDS, no NMS, and no level of ARP protection? Or a secure business network using EAP-TLS for their wireless, PRTG / Suricata / SNORT / Nagios? Only time you'd probably get caught on your neighbor's wifi is if they monitor bandwidth because they're limited. Or they're a little savvy and check their DHCP leases / do ping sweeps.

Really don't need a degree and honestly experience > a degree. Majority of undergrad schools are always behind anyway. 

On 4/20/2016 at 3:04 PM, theereal said:

I need some help, Is there a way to connect to a network over WiFi (that you know the password of) but when the person who owns that network wants to check how many devices that are connected, It doesent show that you are connected?

Do you have permission to use this network? It sounds like you dont. I would check the laws around your jurisdiction. I know for a fact here in Michigan people have been charged with a Felony for using WiFI with out the owners consent. Is it worth you getting potentially charged with a Felony? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 22.4.2016 at 7:52 PM, Donut417 said:

Do you have permission to use this network? It sounds like you dont. I would check the laws around your jurisdiction. I know for a fact here in Michigan people have been charged with a Felony for using WiFI with out the owners consent. Is it worth you getting potentially charged with a Felony? 

2 things:

No I dont have permission to use this Imaginary network :P (I usually never go anywhere without Interwebz connection)

Im In Norway, and you will most likely be fined If you do this (Norwegian laws are extremely lenient)

It was just In general, beacuse I was In my car the other day waiting for a buddy, I saw a WiFi was availible and actually managed to guess the password (the password was password12345 :P) I just tried the most generic thing ever, then I wondered If you could actually piggyback off peoples wifi.