Will running a native 1080P monitor in 1440P cause damage?

Torey

So when is the optimal time to use 1440P over 1080P? Not using any AA on games with SSAA? Confused a little.

When you want more pixels but less AA. More pixels also affect every part of computer operation. AA only affects games.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Think of running an old game from years ago, it has resolution options, but no AA options..

Textures may not look better, but the corners and edges of things are "slightly" smoother or slightly anti-aliased due to the downsampling.*

*Compared to running at 1080p.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just curious. I set my monitor to 1440P it works fine, just not sure if it will cause damage at all.

1040p means it has that many spefic number of pixels in the display itself physically and thus you can not add anymore.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

This process is called downsampling and it is also known as OGSSAA(organized grid super sampling anti aliasing)

It is a form of antialiasing that works everywhere, it doesn't need anything from the game other than the option to set the resoloution. This is the only way you can get perfect anti-aliasing.

if you do 2x OGSSAA (for ex: 3840x2160 downsampled to 1080p) it will be 4x as demanding, but will have basicly no jaggies. it is a bit of a pain to set up though, I managed to wreck my windows once setting it up :P

When it works however it is amazing, games like NFS hot pursuit that normally don't support AA look SO much better, pretty much like an entirely new game.

It is often limited by your monitor how far you can downsample, because it has to accept a higher res image adn many don't support over a certain limit. The highest I can get with my VG278He is 2720 x 1530 @60hz or 2560 x 1440 @72hz.

For desktop use or web browsing it not very ideal, but if you want to look at high res images or play games with perfect AA, downsampling is a very solid option.

disclaimer: I do in no way suggest the use of downsampling as it might harm your monitor or other hardware of yours. I am in no way responsible for any damage you do to your hardware by downsampling blablabla..

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE