Popular Blu-Ray Ripping Software Shuts Down Following Legal Pressure

RZeroX
14 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I disagree: most people are quickly moving on to streaming. Yes the quality is worst, no the quality has never been that important for the mainstream crowd consuming entertainment. It's appreciated but it can't compete with the convenience of streaming.

I see your point. Blu-Rays still have a lot of relevance because of the quality. I actually rarely if ever buy blu-rays but renting them is really convenient. It only costs $2 and the quality is great, it only takes about 5 minutes to pick one up, and it's constantly being updated, but I guess this is more of a Pro RedBox argument than a Pro Blu-Ray.

Side note: after watching blu-rays I just don't enjoy dvd's anymore but streaming is still fine since dvd<streaming<blu-ray.

On 2016-02-24 at 5:15 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Of course not. Blurays are shit. 

Also, crap, I like AnyDVD HD, it's ten times better than the other crap on the market. 

MakeMKV... just sayin'

On 2016-02-24 at 5:23 PM, Robin88 said:

MakeMKV + Handbrake. 'nuff said.
Seriously though this sucks for AnyDVD users and for SlySoft, but we should have seen this coming, Hollywood are tossers for this kind of crap and were bound to win a court case involving this, they've got the money and the friends in government to succeed.

Agreed. That's an excellent combo - I've ripped my entire collection to my file server using said system.

On 2016-02-24 at 5:39 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Star Trek (2009) caused MakeMKV to completely lock up and not work on any BluRays (even ones that it used to work with). I used MakeMKV a couple months ago and was forced to stop using it and look for an alternative (which turned out to be Any DVD HD which works flawlessly for me).

I've personally ripped Star Trek (2009) via MakeMKV - no problems. Whatever issue you had, it was a bug or glitch or system instability with your specific setup - not with MakeMKV specifically. I've actually never had MakeMKV fail a single time, and I've ripped a ton of Blu-Ray's.

In fact, the only thing MakeMKV had any issues with was a few HD-DVD's, and that's because... well.. yeah. Dead format.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I've personally ripped Star Trek (2009) via MakeMKV - no problems. Whatever issue you had, it was a bug or glitch or system instability with your specific setup - not with MakeMKV specifically. I've actually never had MakeMKV fail a single time, and I've ripped a ton of Blu-Ray's.

In fact, the only thing MakeMKV had any issues with was a few HD-DVD's, and that's because... well.. yeah. Dead format.

I did it on two different systems with two different drives (the drives are both first gen bluray drives if that could be the culprit) and MakeMKV got all locked up and refused to work on both. I'll look more into it if AnyDVD HD doesn't ever work for me (which will probably happen at some point since it's no longer being updated). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I did it on two different systems with two different drives (the drives are both first gen bluray drives if that could be the culprit) and MakeMKV got all locked up and refused to work on both. I'll look more into it if AnyDVD HD doesn't ever work for me (which will probably happen at some point since it's no longer being updated). 

Could be the age of the blu-ray drives themselves. Perhaps check to see if there are firmware updates available for them? Don't know what the issue is, but all I can say is that I've ripped my entire collection without a single failure.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Could be the age of the blu-ray drives themselves. Perhaps check to see if there are firmware updates available for them? Don't know what the issue is, but all I can say is that I've ripped my entire collection without a single failure.

Both drives still work in AnyDVD HD, just no longer in MakeMKV. and I updated the firmware. Whatever happened was clearly very strange -- but it will be a problem for a time when AnyDVD HD stops working. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 24.2.2016 at 11:15 PM, Centurius said:

This is BS, once I buy a show or movie no one should get to decide what I do with it for my own personal use. At least there is plenty of other software left.

On 25.2.2016 at 1:28 AM, -BirdiE- said:

If they shut down the program I'm using, I'm just going to stop buying and start pirating.

I think my signature has something to say about this :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.