Is it possible to build a NAS within a desktop?

Aqil

I recently got interested in building a NAS for my home but I can't find any space for it. Another build on my schedule is a living room PC for media and light gaming. So I was thinking whether it is possible to do both within the same system. Thanks in advance for the help.

Probably a bit overkill for your needs but it gives a good outline of what to do.

Short answer; yes.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

well, "NAS" means network attached storage, in what way that storage attaches to your network is up to you.

my "NAS" is an old gaming rig i converted. (took out the gpu, it was a disaster either way, added a bunch of refurb drives)

16 minutes ago, Aqil said:

I recently got interested in building a NAS for my home but I can't find any space for it. Another build on my schedule is a living room PC for media and light gaming. So I was thinking whether it is possible to do both within the same system. Thanks in advance for the help.

Well the simplest way is to just have a PC with a lot of HDD storage and share a folder on the network. Not many features some NAS OSes have but in a pinch you have a "NAS" of sorts. Use raid one pairs if your lazy using dynamic discs they pretty much are just direct clones if you ever need a big array a hardware raid card or Linuses method works too.

Totally depends on what you are looking for and what you are aiming for but the Linus video above is a good example at how to multi purpose the machine and allow you to keep it doing what you currently have it doing with the additional functionality, Or you could opt for a out the box solution like a Microserver / Synology box etc.