White Bookshelf Speakers for Relatively Cheap

DarkestDiamond

The title pretty much says it all, I'm looking for bookshelf style speakers in white for relatively cheap. They do not have to be super fancy high end monitoring speakers, as I have absolutely no use for that. I just think white bookshelf speakers look amazing and would go great with my setup. 

8 hours ago, DarkestDiamond said:

The title pretty much says it all, I'm looking for bookshelf style speakers in white for relatively cheap. They do not have to be super fancy high end monitoring speakers, as I have absolutely no use for that. I just think white bookshelf speakers look amazing and would go great with my setup. 

What's relatively cheap? 

Sub £100?

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Just don't expect the greatest sound from speakers around 100£ for a pair.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Just don't expect the greatest sound from speakers around 100£ for a pair.

You can still get some good sound from £100 speakers. The problem is that white book shelf speakers aren't massively common (or at least from my experience)

the difference between £100 and £300 speakers (I know, I have the speakers in my signature on my desk and a5+ in my living room) is noticeable, but that 'noticeable' statement cost an additional £200.

It's all about what the user wants

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, iWearKiltz said:

You can still get some good sound from £100 speakers. The problem is that white book shelf speakers aren't massively common (or at least from my experience)

the difference between £100 and £300 speakers (I know, I have the speakers in my signature on my desk and a5+ in my living room) is noticeable, but that 'noticeable' statement cost an additional £200.

It's all about what the user wants

Well the difference between speakers that cost 100£ and 300£ is how well they reproduce the sounds some speakers makes the sound warm and some make it cold, the accurate sound is not something you get in 100£ pair of speakers that's something you get from 100-150£ for one speaker, I am not saying they are bad but you should not set your hopes to high up and to be 100% honest with you the a5+ is a bit overpriced but they are pretty good. anything would really be a upgrade from small cheap speakers or build in ones. Look used first and see if you can find maybe a 300£ pair for 100£ because they are used.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Well the difference between speakers that cost 100£ and 300£ is how well they reproduce the sounds some speakers makes the sound warm and some make it cold, the accurate sound is not something you get in 100£ pair of speakers that's something you get from 100-150£ for one speaker, I am not saying they are bad but you should not set your hopes to high up and to be 100% honest with you the a5+ is a bit overpriced but they are pretty good. anything would really be a upgrade from small cheap speakers or build in ones. Look used first and see if you can find maybe a 300£ pair for 100£ because they are used.

I personally wouldn't go second hand. Speakers consist of moving parts and anything with moving parts can be quite easily damaged. This is just my preference.

the a5+ is, yes, but that doesn't negate from it's quality. My other speakers could also be called overpriced. The quality of the build, especially the speakers being requested by OP will be on show on a bookshelf, needs to be high. Not every set of speakers 100% revolves around sound reproduction.

OP has yet to define what their preference is. The least you could do is show them some of your suggestions.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, DarkestDiamond said:

friend just spotted these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Control-One-boxes-White/dp/B007IIRHE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455291729&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+control+one+white

need an amp though. The black versions are less than half the price

Spoiler

Just now, iWearKiltz said:

I personally wouldn't go second hand. Speakers consist of moving parts and anything with moving parts can be quite easily damaged. This is just my preference.

the a5+ is, yes, but that doesn't negate from it's quality. My other speakers could also be called overpriced. The quality of the build, especially the speakers being requested by OP will be on show on a bookshelf, needs to be high. Not every set of speakers 100% revolves around sound reproduction.

OP has yet to define what their preference is. The least you could do is show them some of your suggestions.

I am saying he should look used so yeah that is a suggestion.

Moving part what? Nothing in a speaker should be able to move at all. Vibration is the thing that makes sound, if you look used you should always try them before you buy them since speaker tech has been the same for many many years now so he can find speakers that are 5-10 years old that will sound amezing and beat everthing he can get new. If you can buy speakers and headphones used do it, because then you don't have to burn them in and you can hear how they will sound for the rest of their life, ofcause you need to buy them from someone who has been nice to them. I am trying to make him get the best he can for his money.

Okay thank you very much @Dackzyand @iWearKiltz, as for my intentions for the speakers I would love to put them on my desk on small stands unless that would be a completely stupid idea. The reason I want bookshelf speakers specifically is purely because I love the way they look. Also thank you very much for the links, however I like in the US so I need .com links lol. I also know that I will probably need to get an amp and that's fine and does not need to be factored into the cost, but if you have suggestions for a decent amp that's black or white that would be great.

1 hour ago, DarkestDiamond said:

Okay thank you very much @Dackzyand @iWearKiltz, as for my intentions for the speakers I would love to put them on my desk on small stands unless that would be a completely stupid idea. The reason I want bookshelf speakers specifically is purely because I love the way they look. Also thank you very much for the links, however I like in the US so I need .com links lol. I also know that I will probably need to get an amp and that's fine and does not need to be factored into the cost, but if you have suggestions for a decent amp that's black or white that would be great.

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA7492-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B00F0H8TOC/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455310363&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Gemtune+SMSL+SA-50 this amp is really good and nice looking, but you know that you can get powered speakers that looks the same as bookshelf right?

@Dackzy sorry for bothering you so much but do you know off the top of your head of any speakers that look like 51L4shp2m1L._SY355_.jpg or IS526765-01-01-BIG.jpg (sorry I have a pretty specific aesthetic). They must be able to be shipped to the USA thanks.

6 hours ago, DarkestDiamond said:

@Dackzy sorry for bothering you so much but do you know off the top of your head of any speakers that look like 51L4shp2m1L._SY355_.jpg or IS526765-01-01-BIG.jpg (sorry I have a pretty specific aesthetic). They must be able to be shipped to the USA thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-S-DJ50X-W-5-Inch-Reference-Speaker/dp/B00F4I79P2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1455352736&sr=8-17&keywords=white+speaker 130$ for one speaker but they dont need an amp

that design you are looking for is rare on a white speaker since most people want black speakers. They yamaha ones you have a picture of cost around 200$ for one speaker but they don't need an amp.

this is also an option but agian they dont really look that much like the pictures http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMPDA9K?psc=1 (no amp needed)

Here is a list of where they sell Wharfedale in the US. http://wharfedaleusa.com/where-to-buy. I think most of them needs a amp.