Help with 16Tb External Hard Drive

Guys, I have trouble with my external hard-drive. My laptop, which runs Windows 10 Pro, cannot recognize my new hard-drive. It is a Sager NP9870S that I just bought 1 month ago. So it has recent hardware and software, and my Sager works with no trouble with other hard-drives (all single bay).

As for the problematic hard-drive, it is one that I have assembled. For the enclosure, I bought this one: Icy Dock MB662U32SR1 MB662U3-2S-R1 DAS Array. As for the hard-drives, I bought two Seagate Enterprise 8tb drives.

I installed the drives as recommended. And the first time I used my new drive, the driver was installed, I put the drives into Raid 0. And then I used Window 10's disk manager to assign a drive number, I designated the as a "Single Volume", I gave the drive a name and then did a quick format. The drive was working fine for transfer of data back and forth. But when I turn the hard-drive off, the next time I turn it on, my laptop cannot recognize the presence of the drive. Disk manager does not list it at all.

But every time, I reset my drive, the drive is recognized by Windows 10. I tried changing the drive into the other modes: JBOD, Big, RAID 1 and again RAID 0. The drive works fine until I turn it off.

I have checked the two drives and they work in a single bay enclosure...

Just in case, I have tried with two 6tb Enterprise Seagate drives. I even removed the enclosure's board and plugged the drives directly.

I used various USB 3.0 cable. I have tried it on another Windows 10 Pro laptop. Both laptops' drivers are up to date. No changes. The drives always no longer work after I power it off.

I am at a lost on what is happening. On the description on Icy Dock's webpage, my new enclosure should be able to handle 16tb. The two drives are working when they are moved to another enclosure (single bay though). And the drives (both 6tb and 8Tb) are described on Seagate's site as been compatible with external hard drive enclosure. In fact, they are supposed to be compatible with NAS...

So what is happening? Can any one help me please? Thank you in advance!

What purpose is this serving?  You're not using it as a backup are you?  Don't backup to RAID 0 ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It is mostly to store videos my family makes for trips. I dad likes to have the original video, then the ISO images of the Blu-Ray we make. After a decade of many many trips, It takes up a lot of space. So I had to choice but to double up. He actually filled the an 8Tb drive!

6 minutes ago, newvelaric said:

It is mostly to store videos my family makes for trips. I dad likes to have the original video, then the ISO images of the Blu-Ray we make. After a decade of many many trips, It takes up a lot of space. So I had to choice but to double up. He actually filled the an 8Tb drive!

Well as long as you've got another copy somewhere then. 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.