"Display driver has stopped worked" often when I play videos.

LaboonTheWhale

I honestly dont know why. 

When I install drivers, I erase every trace of anything AMD and then install the new one. But this keeps happening. I honestly dont know where to start. 

This has happened during 15.1 drivers occasionally. but now its much more prominent with these crimson drivers as well. 

AMD R9 290 on 16.1 crimson 

Probably a sign of an unstable GPU. Or the OS doesn't like it.

Is there anything overclocked? And how are the temps of the graphics card? (not only GPU, but also VRM, gpu-z should help with that).

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Probably a sign of an unstable GPU. Or the OS doesn't like it.

Is there anything overclocked? And how are the temps of the graphics card? (not only GPU, but also VRM, gpu-z should help with that).

have my 290 OC'd to 1200/1400 and sits at 40-43 degrees depending on ambient. I've played plenty of games on max settings and even vram intensive games that would stress a GPU out and doesnt cause a crash. but its just only when I'm browsing the web/reddit/youtube and what not it happens. 

Just now, LaboonTheWhale said:

have my 290 OC'd to 1200/1400 and sits at 40-43 degrees depending on ambient. I've played plenty of games on max settings and even vram intensive games that would stress a GPU out and doesnt cause a crash. but its just only when I'm browsing the web/reddit/youtube and what not it happens. 

Your gpu has an hardware decoder, and such things are used for video's and stuff. So it's possible that's causing issues.

And such things aren't used in games so it's perfectly possible everything else is perfectly fine with that overclock.

I would turn it back to stock and check if the error goes away. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Your gpu has an hardware decoder, and such things are used for video's and stuff. So it's possible that's causing issues.

And such things aren't used in games so it's perfectly possible everything else is perfectly fine with that overclock.

I would turn it back to stock and check if the error goes away. 

Would it be turning back the GPU clock and Memory clock, or would one cause the issue over the other. 

1 minute ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Would it be turning back the GPU clock and Memory clock, or would one cause the issue over the other. 

I would turn both back and check if the problem is at least solved with that.

If it is solved, you can start overclocking again. Tbh i don't know how hardware decoders exacly work so i don't know how much gpu clock and memory clock can effect the decoder.

1 hour ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

I honestly dont know why. 

When I install drivers, I erase every trace of anything AMD and then install the new one. But this keeps happening. I honestly dont know where to start. 

This has happened during 15.1 drivers occasionally. but now its much more prominent with these crimson drivers as well. 

AMD R9 290 on 16.1 crimson 

I have had similar problems playing a game (SOASE) on my PC (Intel HD Graphics 530) it just crashes for no reason saying that the game was denied access to graphics hardware, and also what you have experienced. Firstly, I reinstalled graphics drivers, then I reset CMOS, then I went into the folder containing the .exe for the game and it played fine (its a steam game).

Dunno if this helps you, but at least you know someone had the same problem.

Just try this, just incase: 

On 2/6/2016 at 2:46 PM, samcool55 said:

I would turn both back and check if the problem is at least solved with that.

If it is solved, you can start overclocking again. Tbh i don't know how hardware decoders exacly work so i don't know how much gpu clock and memory clock can effect the decoder.

Turned back my OC and it still happens.