Case fans acting wierd

IoWii

I just connected my 3 case fans via 3PIN only. The problem is 1 fan is at 500rpm, the other two are at 1300rpm. Why are they like that? Anyway that  i can control them not only with BIOS? In BIOS i have it set to silent.

IMG_20160204_201112.jpg

What motherboard do you have?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

What motherboard do you have?

Gigabyte H77-D3H

Are all casefans using some other header than CPU or CPU_OPT? Are all fans same?

Gigabyte has very poor control over any fans connected to casefan headers. You can get some love out of Speedfan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Are all casefans using some other header than CPU or CPU_OPT? Are all fans same?

Gigabyte has very poor control over any fans connected to casefan headers. You can get some love out of Speedfan.

Yes all 3 of them are on CASE_FAN1/2/3 header, only CASE_FAN1 does lower the rpm. Yes they are all the same, and I dont know if im doing something wrong, but speedfan does not work.

On 2/5/2016 at 6:36 AM, IoWii said:

Yes all 3 of them are on CASE_FAN1/2/3 header, only CASE_FAN1 does lower the rpm. Yes they are all the same, and I dont know if im doing something wrong, but speedfan does not work.

What settings are you using in SpeedFan? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What settings are you using in SpeedFan? 

Didnt change nothing, just changing the numbers at the start page, it does work for the GPU fans but not the case..

1 hour ago, IoWii said:

Didnt change nothing, just changing the numbers at the start page, it does work for the GPU fans but not the case..

You need to change the fan control to manual in the advanced settings. 

Here's a guide:

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Here's a guide:

Okay, i can control the CPU fan and the 1 case fan that i was able throught BIOS. I cant get the other 2 controlled.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Here's a guide:

Here is what is happening, I have PWM1 which controls my CPU fan. PWM2 controls the first case fan. I have PWM3 but that one controls the CPU fan aswell. No other PWMS, where are they?

52 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Here is what is happening, I have PWM1 which controls my CPU fan. PWM2 controls the first case fan. I have PWM3 but that one controls the CPU fan aswell. No other PWMS, where are they?

What fans do you have and where are they connected?

Can we get a screencap of your fans in SpeedFan?

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fans do you have and where are they connected?

Can we get a screencap of your fans in SpeedFan?

As you can see in the picture i have PWM1 which controls 50% of the CPU fan, PWM3 controls the other 50%. In this picture you can see i have one at 100 and one at 0 that makes the fan run at rouglhy 50%. PWM2 controls FAN2, FAN3 and FAN4 do not change, when value of PWM2 is changed.

Screenshot_1.png

Picture n.2
If i untick the ''Remember it'' on PWM'S after i restart the PC that was PWM values are changed to.

Screenshot_2.png

15 hours ago, IoWii said:

As you can see in the picture i have PWM1 which controls 50% of the CPU fan, PWM3 controls the other 50%. In this picture you can see i have one at 100 and one at 0 that makes the fan run at rouglhy 50%. PWM2 controls FAN2, FAN3 and FAN4 do not change, when value of PWM2 is changed.
If i untick the ''Remember it'' on PWM'S after i restart the PC that was PWM values are changed to.

You have to tick 'remember it' for the setting to stay after system restarts. 

ON/OFF means the fan is running at either 0 or 100% and SmartGuardian is the motherboard fan software. If you want to control the fans via SpeedFan, you need to change them to Software Controlled or Manual. 

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You have to tick 'remember it' for the setting to stay after system restarts. 

ON/OFF means the fan is running at either 0 or 100% and SmartGuardian is the motherboard fan software. If you want to control the fans via SpeedFan, you need to change them to Software Controlled or Manual. 

Ticked remember it, got them all to manual, but for me to control the other 2 fans i would need 2 more PWM'S. They are missing, or is PWM2 controlling all the case fans and my fans are dead or my motherboard connections are dead?

2 hours ago, IoWii said:

Ticked remember it, got them all to manual, but for me to control the other 2 fans i would need 2 more PWM'S. They are missing, or is PWM2 controlling all the case fans and my fans are dead or my motherboard connections are dead?

You kind of need to figure out what label corresponds to what. Try changing settings and seeing what responds. 

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You kind of need to figure out what label corresponds to what. Try changing settings and seeing what responds. 

What do you mean? As which PWM is for what?

1 minute ago, IoWii said:

What do you mean? As which PWM is for what?

As in which fan label corresponds to each fan. The pwm 1, 2, and 3 don't represent fans but something else--not sure what exactly though. 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

As in which fan label corresponds to each fan. The pwm 1, 2, and 3 don't represent fans but something else--not sure what exactly though. 

I probably dont understand now correctly, but pwm1 si for the CPU fan, pwm2 is for the 1 case fan. pwm3 is the cpu fan aswell. 
Fan2 is the case fan i can control, fan3 and fan4 are the case fans that are uncontrolable.

2 minutes ago, IoWii said:

I probably dont understand now correctly, but pwm1 si for the CPU fan, pwm2 is for the 1 case fan. pwm3 is the cpu fan aswell. 
Fan2 is the case fan i can control, fan3 and fan4 are the case fans that are uncontrolable.

What fans are they and what kind of headers are they connected to?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What fans are they and what headers are they connected to?

Stock Sharkoon fans i got with the case, connected to a 4PIN header, but they have a 3PIN connector. On the motherboard they are labeled as SYS_FAN(1/2/3).

4 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Stock Sharkoon fans i got with the case, connected to a 4PIN header, but they have a 3PIN connector. On the motherboard they are labeled as SYS_FAN(1/2/3).

Sometimes, 4pin headers on the motherboard will have issues controlling 3pin fans--at least when it comes to SpeedFan. Try connecting them to 3pin headers instead. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Sometimes, 4pin headers on the motherboard will have issues controlling 3pin fans--at least when it comes to SpeedFan. Try connecting them to 3pin headers instead. 

Problem is, i dont 3PIN heards haha. Looks like its an all around problem, BIOS only controls the one that i can control with SpeedFan aswell. I guess my only choice is getting new fans that have 4pin connectors i guess.

6 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Problem is, i dont 3PIN heards haha. Looks like its an all around problem, BIOS only controls the one that i can control with SpeedFan aswell. I guess my only choice is getting new fans that have 4pin connectors i guess.

If you have some molex fan adapters, you can flip some pins to have them run at 5v which is effectively ~40% fan speed. 

4847092ba98b3a6be16f87cb1b5d9bd1.png

Just flip the ground headers and the 5v/12v headers. Keep in mind to only use this to power fans though. 

Linus did this except for 7v here: