Need help choosing proper PSU

Hi guys! New to the forum. So I plan on building a PC soon and I've stumbled across more of a question rather than a problem...I did a PSU wattage calculator for my build and it estimated I would need 804 watts to run my PC which includes overclocking my processor and running liquid cooling. I want your opinion on whether I should stick with an 850W PSU and save a few bucks, or just splurge and get the 1050W because I'll more than likely need it. Here's the build. If you have any criticism about it please let me know :)

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro (V Edition)

PSU: Corsair HX1050 (or HX850)

CPU: Intel i5 4670K Haswell

GPU: MSI Gaming N760 2GB OC Edition

RAM: GSkill Ripjaw 2x4GB 2133

SSD: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (Primary boot drive)

HDD: 2 Seagate 7200rpm 500GB (one for storage, one for Linux...may even see about a 250GB for Linux because I can't see myself filling it)

Corsair H100i CPU cooler

2 additional 120mm fans

Maybe a sound card in the future too

Thanks you guys! :)

Whatever calculator you're running is wrong. You can easily run your system off of a decent 500w.

Why such high frequency ram? There's pretty much no benefit from high frequency ram is most situations. What's the system for?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Get a Fractal Design Integra R2 500W PSU. It will run off it well.

And also, as @M-ursu would paste, welcome10.gif

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

You would not need an 850W. Your system will use 600W max, if that, unless overclocking.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

You would not need an 850W. Your system will use 600W max, if that, unless overclocking.

Probably 500w power draw if he's going for crazy overclocks. Nowhere near 600w.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would either go 750-850 mostly if you ever upgrade it's good to have some room. And yes as they said below you won't ever need that amount of power.

I wasn't anywhere close to 600 with my system^^

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

I like headroom  ^_^ Then again I have a 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU with one GPU... The fan doesn't even spin up until I do some gaming or video work  :lol: Going overkill is good for silence.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I like headroom  ^_^ Then again I have a 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU with one GPU... The fan doesn't even spin up until I do some gaming or video work  :lol: Going overkill is good for silence.

Could've just gotten a seasonic x series psu ._.

Could've just gotten a seasonic x series psu ._.

So many people tell me "You could've gotten this instead" or "That's so pointless". But honestly, this forum is FULL of overkill. Going overkill on a VERY good PSU is just my thing  ^_^

So many people tell me "You could've gotten this instead" or "That's so pointless". But honestly, this forum is FULL of overkill. Going overkill on a VERY good PSU is just my thing  ^_^

It's every newbie's thing to go overkill on the psu.

It's every newbie's thing to go overkill on the psu.

Maybe because I WANTED to? I plan on throwing in another 680. I know that a decent system can do very well with a 600W, but it seems cheap. I hate cheap. I will spend more for better quality/more features. Gladly.

Maybe because I WANTED to? I plan on throwing in another 680. I know that a decent system can do very well with a 600W, but it seems cheap. I hate cheap. I will spend more for better quality/more features. Gladly.

I didn't ask you a question...

I didn't ask you a question...

When you said "It's every newbie's thing to go overkill on the psu." I assumed you were pointing at me and assuming I know nothing about PC wattages and just went with the highest possible. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

When you said "It's every newbie's thing to go overkill on the psu." I assumed you were pointing at me and assuming I know nothing about PC wattages and just went with the highest possible. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

I wasn't pointing to you. I was just just to point out that it's a common occurrence. 

I wasn't pointing to you. I was just just to point out that it's a common occurrence. 

Yeah, I agree. I guess this thread is the perfect example  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure about how big of PSU, the calculators suck apparently >.> Anyways..I wanted a higher frequency RAM because I read that when you OC the CPU it lowers RAM speeds? Correct me if I'm wrong please, still learning!

I figure I'll stick with an 850W PSU because I like some extra headroom. I also looked at the Fractal Design XL R2 case which is like $10 more and it seems nice and sturdy. It's also a full ATX! I changed my mind on the motherboard too. I can get a Maximus VI Hero for the same price as the Z87 Pro ;)

I wasn't sure about how big of PSU, the calculators suck apparently >.> Anyways..I wanted a higher frequency RAM because I read that when you OC the CPU it lowers RAM speeds? Correct me if I'm wrong please, still learning!

I figure I'll stick with an 850W PSU because I like some extra headroom. I also looked at the Fractal Design XL R2 case which is like $10 more and it seems nice and sturdy. It's also a full ATX! I changed my mind on the motherboard too. I can get a Maximus VI Hero for the same price as the Z87 Pro ;)

That's not true. The more you oc ram, the more unstable it becomes when you oc you cpu and vice versa. Basically, choose one to oc--your cpu or your ram. 

Don't get a 850w--way overkill. A 650w is PLENTY.

Fyi, make sure you have the room and don't mind heaving around a full atx case if you get one. A smaller case is generally easier to work with. (Not ridiculously small though)

You should be getting a cheaper mobo. Both the Pro and Maximus ain't exactly cheap and don't deliver much more than the cheaper options.

Fyi, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.