Can you keep all settings by using Refresh or Reset on a re-install?

Raiden60
Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

I'm not moving the install. I currently have windows 8.1 on my PC installed on my SSD. I'm going to use this SSD for my next build, and I'm going to re-install windows on the new PC.

Right, I must have misread your question. Yes you can do a refresh on your new PC, the worst thing that will happen is you will need to phone activate your key to get Windows activated again.

-- Also dont forget to download your new drivers.

My new CPU will be delivered sometime in the next week, so I'm gonna use this SSD to put the new OS on. I don't really want to format it, because I'll lose all my files. But can I use the "Refresh my PC" option in the troubleshooting to install the same OS but on a different PC, to prevent compatibility issues and keep my settings?

Refreshing your PC (but keeping your files) will only refresh the current install of Windows. It wont allow you to move your installation from an Hard Drive to an SSD, you would need to clone or fresh install for that.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

My new CPU will be delivered sometime in the next week, so I'm gonna use this SSD to put the new OS on. I don't really want to format it, because I'll lose all my files. But can I use the "Refresh my PC" option in the troubleshooting to install the same OS but on a different PC, to prevent compatibility issues and keep my settings?

you have to reinstall the os to the new drive

backup your important data..and clean install

always the best option

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Refreshing your PC (but keeping your files) will only refresh the current install of Windows. It wont allow you to move your installation from an Hard Drive to an SSD, you would need to clone or fresh install for that.

I'm not moving the install. I currently have windows 8.1 on my PC installed on my SSD. I'm going to use this SSD for my next build, and I'm going to re-install windows on the new PC.

you have to reinstall the os to the new drive

backup your important data..and clean install

always the best option

Like I say, I'm not installing on a new drive.

Like I say, I'm not installing on a new drive.

you still need to reinstall

its a diff motherboard

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Right, I must have misread your question. Yes you can do a refresh on your new PC, the worst thing that will happen is you will need to phone activate your key to get Windows activated again.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

its a diff motherboard

Not always, Back in the days of XP when it was dependent on a layer called HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer). Yes you would have to do a fresh install else you would get an instant bluecreen, but modern OS's are much more forgiving... (even in XP days you could run a M$ tool called "Sysprep -oobe -generalize" to remove all traces of drivers (its what OEM's do).

its a diff motherboard

Like I say, I'm asking if refreshing the PC will allow me to keep all my files and have no compatibility issues. Take the time to actually read my question next time.

Ok, I always just make sure with this sort of thing. Thanks :)