Why is it that on speedtest.net I am getting 20mb/s but whenI download something I get about 400kb/s?

Cbeeman

I'm even running the soeedtest whille I'm downloading.

this happens because the server that you are downloading from / people seeding are slow or doing a few people at one time, I think!

sorry if thi is wrong but that's what I think!!!

~james

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

speed is in bits while download speed is in bytes. its a different values. maybe its limited by the download sites too

If you are getting 20 megabit download rate you should get around 2.5MB/S but as people above have stated that is only when the server is under low load and when it's very close.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Your only as fast as the weakest link.,

You could be the fastest reciever in the world, but if the sender is slow as fuck,,,,,.......well,,.. you get the point :)

Not all pipes are laid equal, not are all as fast as another,

first world problems...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

bits and bytes are different things, speedtest measures in bits and you download in bytes.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Speedtest.net often shows your download speeds higher than what they really are. I like testmy.net a lot better, it is also more accurate.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Speedtest.net measures your connection speed in megabits per second (Mb/s), whereas downloads usually indicate the speed as megabytes per seconds (MB/s).

One megabyte is eight megabits, so an optimal scenario with your connection would then be 20Mb/s / 8 = 2.5MB/s, but there are also other factors that come into play, such as the protocol (TCP is slower than UDP), capacity and speed of the server, the physical distance between you and the server, and so on.

Yes, 400kb/s is waaay slower than what you should be getting, I'd say your download speed to a nearby server, let's say the Steam server in your country should be around 2MB/s.

SpeedTest is going to the nearest server that it can to check the connection speed which is not an accurate measure. If you're downloading a file from a US or Euro host and you're in Oceania, SpeedTest results are useless. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, speedtest.net results arent really reliable because the testing files of speedtest are fairly small and most isp's give your download speed a boost that slopes down over time so with this boost and the small testing files this results in the speedtest being done before the boost has sloped down. I would recommend test.my for serious tests

Mobo: Asus M4A87TD | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE | GPU: Asus GTX 970 Strix | RAM: 8GB Kingston Value Ram | HDD1:  2TB Refurbished Seagate Baracuda | HDD2: 1TB Samsung | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 125GB | PSU: Corsair CX 850 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4

Look at it this way.  I have a home server and my upload speed is 5 Mbps.  My friend has an internet speed of 25 Mbps down.  If I give him access to my server and he tries to download something he is limited by my upload speed.  Like someone above me said, you are limited by the slowest part of the connection. 

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101