KVM Hypervisor Distro?

For those of you that use KVM as your hypervisor what distro do you use?

P.S. I'm not interested in unRaid at this time.

There is no specific distro. You can use whichever you feel comfortable with.

The Arch Wiki has a lot of info on it but it should apply the same for any distro minus the package names.

Assuming you want to dedicate a lot of your host's resources to the guest you will probably want something light weight so arch is a good choice for that. And this is definitely not something that you are going to want to do if you are a total noob because you have to do things like blacklisting kernel modules and most of the stuff involves the CLI.

Also good choice on not wanting to use unraid. Protip: its shit.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

There is no specific distro. You can use whichever you feel comfortable with.

The Arch Wiki has a lot of info on it but it should apply the same for any distro minus the package names.

Assuming you want to dedicate a lot of your host's resources to the guest you will probably want something light weight so arch is a good choice for that. And this is definitely not something that you are going to want to do if you are a total noob because you have to do things like blacklisting kernel modules and most of the stuff involves the CLI.

Also good choice on not wanting to use unraid. Protip: its shit.

Lately I have been using Mint with MATE as the window manager however I don't think I want to go full blown like that just for the hypervisor.

I was leaning towards just a basic debian setup or centos I wasn't even thinking of arch but i'll give it a look. I still haven't decided on the window manager to use (if any at all).

I'm just mostly see what others use if any.

Thanks

Lately I have been using Mint with MATE as the window manager however I don't think I want to go full blown like that just for the hypervisor.

I was leaning towards just a basic debian setup or centos I wasn't even thinking of arch but i'll give it a look. I still haven't decided on the window manager to use (if any at all).

I'm just mostly see what others use if any.

Thanks

Like I said go without whatever you feel comfortable with. Regardless of what you want to set it up on the arch wiki is going to provide valuable information. I guarantee that it will be more useful then the wiki for whatever distro you choose except for maybe Gentoo.

Good luck.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many, many choices for a hyper-visor, just depends on your needs.

For a stand alone, personal desktop/bare metal hyper-visor setup with KVM & QEMU, I would lean towards CentOS or Ubuntu MATE personally. And If I understand your statement "P.S. I'm not interested in unRaid at this time." to mean you're not interested in a dedicated hyper-visor server, then any answer I give will be null in that regard. However, for the sake of disclosure, I personally run Proxmox VE as a headless Hypervisor server. Proxmox is a dedicated Debian based, Linux Hypervisor that uses both KVM+QEMU for bare metal virtualization and OpenVZ for container virtualization and has for the most part worked out great.

Unlike UnRAID, Proxmox is free to use on an evaluation basis with unlimited time, has an enterprise repo, access to which is free as long as the current version is supported and continued access is included with a paid support subscription as well (around $5/mo for base). Since it's based on Debian, it gets access to Debian repos and security updates as well.

Hope you find your solution, virtual environments are awesome with today's modern hardware. Cheers!

On 1/19/2016 at 1:26 PM, dabeast said:

For those of you that use KVM as your hypervisor what distro do you use?

I don't think this is going to show up properly given the apparently lack of formatting options, but:

harleyquinn# cat /etc/centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core)
harleyquinn# virsh list
 Id    Name                           State
----------------------------------------------------
 10    router1                        running
 11    router2                        running
 12    switch1                        running
 13    switch2                        running
 16    vm1                            running
 17    vm2                            running
 18    vm3                            running
 19    vm4                            running
 20    agg                            running
 33    lb1                            running

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |