Omega Mini Me Review

spwath

Lets start off with a background about the company.

Omega is a small company, specializing in single driver speakers. They are all hand made by a guy in Connecticut. He designed them all from scratch, and built them.  He has over 34 years of experience. All of the speakers made are high end, $500+ per pair.

Now, the Mini Me. They seems to be made around 2005-2007ish. They are a set of smaller speakers (8.5"x12"x7") with 3" drivers. From what I can tell, they are 4 ohms, unknown sensitivity, but it seems pretty high. They seems to come in all sorts of finishes. My particular set has this lovely black wood swirly shiny thing that just looks and feels very premium. They look even better in person than the pictures show. The feature 5 way binding posts for banana plugs, a big must for me.

As for the sound,

They are quite good. The drivers may be small, but they still seem to have relatively good bass. You will want a sub with these however. But, the mid bass and drum region is superb with these, great "punch". They seems to have quite good stereo imaging. The mid range and highs are great, very clear. Detailed sound. Sometimes cymbals are not quite the best, such as in the Boston track Hollyann but better than anything else I have heard, as most times I hear that track I have to cringe at the cymbals.

I really like them so far, much better than my previous speakers. Even though they don't extend down to far they seem to have great punch in the upper bass/drum region, and my sub covers the rest. The difference in impedance did not seem to be a problem as they are the same volume, or even louder than my previous speakers at the same setting, probably due to their higher sensitivity.

It is worth noting I got these used for $110

20160107_182735_HDR.jpg

More Pics
20160107_182749.jpg20160107_182758_HDR.jpg20160110_201406.jpg20160110_201412.jpg20160110_201449.jpg20160110_201513.jpg20160110_201537.jpg20160110_201545.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Interesting. Is that cone starting to separate from the surround in those pics?

Interesting. Is that cone starting to separate from the surround in those pics?

Nope, it is just bad lighting. I just inspected it to make sure, its just glossy their, and the reflection messed up the pic.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Nope, it is just bad lighting. I just inspected it to make sure, its just glossy their, and the reflection messed up the pic.

That's good. Wasn't sure if it was just the lighting. Looks like these aren't coaxial, just single driver? I wonder if that is why cymbals sound off, due to breakup or something.

That's good. Wasn't sure if it was just the lighting. Looks like these aren't coaxial, just single driver? I wonder if that is why cymbals sound off, due to breakup or something.

It could just be that track, as cymals sound bad on everything I have listened too it on. Yeah, They are single driver.

Tell em if you think the cymbals sound bad on your high end headphones, as they sound bad on everything I have heard.

The place im talking about starts at about 1:10

It could just be that track, as cymals sound bad on everything I have listened too it on. Yeah, They are single driver.

Tell em if you think the cymbals sound bad on your high end headphones, as they sound bad on everything I have heard.

The place im talking about starts at about 1:10

That particular track has lots of lossy compression artifacts due to being on YouTube. If you're listening to it there, that's probably what you're hearing.

That particular track has lots of lossy compression artifacts due to being on YouTube. If you're listening to it there, that's probably what you're hearing.

No, the flac i ripped from my cd also has bad sounding cymbals.

No, the flac i ripped from my cd also has bad sounding cymbals.

Could be just overly bright; the YT compression is too bad for me to hear what the actual recording is like.

Could be just overly bright; the YT compression is too bad for me to hear what the actual recording is like.

Yeah, I relized that after listening to it there. The first one i found on YT was utterly dreadfull though

Ok, after a while of searching and some shady sites, I found a non shady site with a good sounding recording for streaming.

It just plays the preview, but it gets to the part im talking about. Now on these speakers the cymbals dont sound bad, but not great either

http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/989

just click play on the track labled Hollyann

Ok, after a while of searching and some shady sites, I found a non shady site with a good sounding recording for streaming.

It just plays the preview, but it gets to the part im talking about. Now on these speakers the cymbals dont sound bad, but not great either

http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/989

just click play on the track labled Hollyann

I'll check it out when I get home.

• 6 months later...
On 1/10/2016 at 8:59 PM, SSL said:

Looks like the highs are a bit supressed compared to a 2 way speaker.

I made a comparison between these and the 100$ polk r15. Do note, the mic is not high quality, and it was in a close to square room. I will do outside measuring later, and evenutally get a better mic.

PolkVSOmega2.jpg

2 hours ago, spwath said:

Looks like the highs are a bit supressed compared to a 2 way speaker.

I made a comparison between these and the 100$ polk r15. Do note, the mic is not high quality, and it was in a close to square room. I will do outside measuring later, and evenutally get a better mic.

Saw it on  the ol' SuperBAF.

What's the procedure with REW, does it generate the sine sweep for you?

Just now, SSL said:

Saw it on  the ol' SuperBAF.

What's the procedure with REW, does it generate the sine sweep for you?

yeah, really easy, you just calibrate the volume with the easy tool, then hit measure, it makes a sweep and the graph. Its really really easy.

3 hours ago, spwath said:

yeah, really easy, you just calibrate the volume with the easy tool, then hit measure, it makes a sweep and the graph. Its really really easy.

Sick.