Minecraft more CPU dependant or Memory?

There is this guy that claims hosting uses a lot of CPU power and playing uses more memory.

Is this true or is he wrong? I was damn sure it was the other way around.

well you need a both........

and depends on the scenario.........

if you have 8GB-16GB ram then cpu is more important

if you have <4GB of ram then more ram is important

if your on a modded server hella ram is needed

LOTS of people and lots of mods = Hella ram

and most good cpus generally can keep up no problem.

well you need a both........

I know, but what uses more.

There is this guy that claims hosting uses a lot of CPU power and playing uses more memory.

Is this true or is he wrong? I was damn sure it was the other way around.

playing minecraft takes a ton of memory, ive never had too much cpu usage but ive never hosted off my rig before

Well.. Depends, The server depends on how big the server is. You could run a small server off a FX6300 and 4GBs of ram.

While playing, a i3 minimum because fuck Java, and 6GBs of Ram. With 3.5-4 allocated to MC ideally 8GB. If you want to run high res TPs and Ultra Shaders, a GTX750Ti or a bit beefier an R9 270.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

playing minecraft takes a ton of memory, ive never had too much cpu usage but ive never hosted off my rig before

A ton as in like 3.5-4? This is with shaders, 128-256x TP, and like 170-200 mods. Oh and Optifine, by the way MC runs off 1 core ave Optifine splits it between 2 cores.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I know, but what uses more.

You can't compare it with an apples-to-apples comparison.  The CPU processes data, the RAM stores data for use.

You could make an argument for either for both servers and clients to be quite honest.

You can run a server on 512MB RAM when hosting for ~5 people, but when not backed up the the CPU horsepower (eg. on a raspberry pi) it'll lag and won't be playable - similarly you could have a powerful CPU hosting a server for >50 people, but when you don't have the RAM to keep the world loaded, it'll lag and stutter as before

The client is a bit of a different story. You don't actually need the "8GB to keep everything running smoothly" as some people would like to suggest (I'm talking about vanilla here - modded is a completely different discussion). In my experience when playing on servers (and probably single player as well although I haven't tested it lately), you are perfectly fine with the 1GB that's allocated as standard and increasing it without reason is only going to make the memory dumps bigger and the already slow garbage collection even slower resulting in FPS drops and stuttering all over the place.

Here's where my level of knowledge drops a bit. In 1.8 the mojang team did make the client multi-threaded to a point. The world loading/unloading, villager AI, and some other things (that's escaped my memory, sorry) can be multi-threaded, and so reduce the strain on the thread(s) that is(/are) doing the rendering. This is where the argument for having a "stronger CPU" falls down, because you can't really measure how strong the CPU is for MC since it doesn't utilise, let's say the 16 threads on a 5960X, and a 4790K would probably outperform it because of it's higher clock speed

TL;DR it depends on the number players on the server, whether you're playing modded, what you're doing in the world etc. Minecraft is a weird program and FPS numbers don't really make sense some most of the time

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*