Router for gaming and college.

krusched

I am looking into getting a router for myself mainly for gaming purposes and in the future for use in college dorms. I currently have AT&T U-Verse with the standard residential gateway (2wire 3800HGV-B) but I would like to have a router behind that for my xbox and gaming pc. As for the price range I am trying to stay sub $100 and preferably be able to get the router from microcenter because I have a giftcard there. Any input is appreciated and I am willing to answer anything that may be able to help determine what is best.

What kind of a connection do you have, cable, adsl, fiber ?

If you are not going to plug a lot of stuff into it, most routers will do the job for you just fine, look into the Linksys, D-Link, lineup, you can get a good router for less than 100$.

Asus RT-N16 looks like a good choice.

In college dorms they usually provide you with a RJ45 plug straight from a switch somewhere, so you most likely wont need any modems and can use your router straight away.

Other members please share your thoughts.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

I know I do not have fiber and I think it is cable but I'm not 100% sure, where could I check that. Also I would be using at least one of the LAN ports at l time, maybe 3 max when I would hae my laptop in my room.

does this look like a good option for the sub $100 price point?

http://microcenter.com/product/247107/DIR-655_Xtreme_N_Gigabit_Router

Both D-Link and Linksys are companies you can trust. I'm using both an old-school WRT-54GL and a DIR-615 and they work flawlessly.

The one you noted should be a very good option.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

D Link firmware is clunky. I would look in to ASUS. I own a D Link router and I wish I bought a ASUS. Also Uverse is DSL. Just a less crappy version of DSL.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.