Performance hits when using a nic with a intel lan port on mobo?

Xtreme Gamer

Im thinking of using a nic as a wol adapter, and a integrated intel lan port on my mobo for internet. Will that work? Would there and any bad things to happen?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

I have on board lan plus an intel nic and have no performance issues.

My setup is a Linux headless server and not a gaming rig. You shouldn't have any performance hits either. But I'm not a Windows guy so I've no experience setting up multiple ethernet ports on a Windows machine.

Is the reason for the new NIC because your on board lan doesn't support wol?

Whenever you schedule or send the WOL packet you specify which MAC address of which card you want to send the wol packet to.

On my Linux system I setup one port as the default (for going out, like when Web browsing). And I can send a wol packet to either the NIC or to the on board LAN by specifying the MAC.

You may find though that the Intel NIC performs better than the on board lan. But it won't cause any performance hit.

Why not just use the integrated for everything ? WoL just sends one packet to wake the pc.

In windows you will have trouble doing 2 NIC's anyway.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Like the other two have said, it would most likely work but there isn't really any reason to use a setup like that. Just use one NIC for everything.

You can see if your NIC supports WoL by going into device manager, properties and then look around in there (it's probably under power management).

post-216-0-85204000-1377688357.png

In have an onboard lan port on my mobo. I can turn it off. But I cant turn it on. Thats why im considering a nic. When im in the lan port power management settings, I see "Allow this device to wake the computer", and "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer". The 3rd box wasnt relevant to the problem though.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

In have an onboard lan port on my mobo. I can turn it off. But I cant turn it on. Thats why im considering a nic. When im in the lan port power management settings, I see "Allow this device to wake the computer", and "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer". The 3rd box wasnt relevant to the problem though.

It might not support turning the computer on drop "power off state". You should be able to wake it up if it's in sleep or hibernate.

It might not support turning the computer on drop "power off state". You should be able to wake it up if it's in sleep or hibernate.

My mobo is a z77x-ud5h. Also if I have to could I just configure the nic for wol and have the onboard lan be for internet? If so, what nic would you recommend? It's gotta be cheap as possible.

My mobo is a z77x-ud5h. Also if I have to could I just configure the nic for wol and have the onboard lan be for internet? If so, what nic would you recommend? It's gotta be cheap as possible.

Well that motherboard has two Ethernet ports. Just plug your cable into the Intel one and it should work (at least from hibernate or sleep).

The thing is that your BIOS/UEFI has to support WOL for it to be able to turn on from a complete shutdown, so even if you buy a new NIC it might not work. Try looking in the UEFI menu (probably under power settings) for Wake on LAN and see if it is enabled or disabled. Try enabling it and see if it works using the onboard Intel port.

WoL does not take over the NIC its a feature that can be turned on and off whenever you wish, it has 0 bandwidth impact and only works when your PC is off waiting for 1 packet.

You only need to tick a few boxes in windows and maybe set something in the BIOS.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Well that motherboard has two Ethernet ports. Just plug your cable into the Intel one and it should work (at least from hibernate or sleep).

The thing is that your BIOS/UEFI has to support WOL for it to be able to turn on from a complete shutdown, so even if you buy a new NIC it might not work. Try looking in the UEFI menu (probably under power settings) for Wake on LAN and see if it is enabled or disabled. Try enabling it and see if it works using the onboard Intel port.

WoL does not take over the NIC its a feature that can be turned on and off whenever you wish, it has 0 bandwidth impact and only works when your PC is off waiting for 1 packet.

You only need to tick a few boxes in windows and maybe set something in the BIOS.

It is on in the bios. Should I check "only allow a magic packet to wake this device" on my lan port?

It is on in the bios. Should I check "only allow a magic packet to wake this device" on my lan port?

The "only allow" part makes me unsure, but you can always try to turn it on and see if it works.

What program do you use to test with? Try this program and see if the magic packet even arrives at your computer.

If it still doesn't work, follow this guide and see if that fixes your issues.