An folder name Ethash(6.6GB) in my computer

C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local in this location I have a folder named Ethash. I don't know where it came from. Google said it's data miner or something. no idea what it is. Can I delete it? will it harm my PC if I delete it. Is it harming my PC now? Please help! Thank you...

Apparently that folder is for CPU bit-coin mining. It doesn't apper to be a virus but bit-coin mining destroys the device its using. But I don't know if it should be deleted as this information I have could be wrong completely.

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

Sounds like you found a coin miner, my friend.
I'd check the created date before deleting it. See if you can figure out when it showed up and where you got it.
Also check and see if you have any process running that you can trace back to it.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

I'd delete it as I have no reason to have a mining program on my computers

Checked my PC dont have it either so Its something hes downloaded maybe?

I'd check the created date before deleting it. See if you can figure out when it showed up and where you got it.

Also check and see if you have any process running that you can trace back to it.

I knew it! I Had a feeling that it was a bit coin miner, Do what Gumi has said then nuke that folder!

have you ever mined for cryptocurrencies like bitcoins with your PC?

if not, then you have a mining virus

use malwarebytes and AVG/avast (free) to remove malware and viruses

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Antivirus did't find any virus in that folder. and i dont know what is bitcoin miner. but i'm deleting it! thanks

the folder was created on 22 September. Cant remember how i got it,

what kind of process i am looking for?

• 9 months later...

I used OpenedFilesView and found out that ctfhost.exe likely created the ethash files. After i closed cfthost.exe i could delete the files.

I found ctfhost.exe there : C:\Users\TihomirTashev\AppData\Roaming\ViberPC\Ctfhost

It seems that it is started from Viber. In the folder C:\Users\TihomirTashev\AppData\Roaming\ViberPC\Ctfhost you can see the file config.xml

Inside this file :

<Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>"C:\Users\TihomirTashev\AppData\Roaming\ViberPC\Ctfhost\ctfhost.exe"</Command>
      <WorkingDirectory>C:\Users\TihomirTashev\AppData\Roaming\ViberPC\Ctfhost</WorkingDirectory>
<Arguments>xorvius.</Arguments>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2015 at 7:58 AM, Jensen909 said:

C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local in this location I have a folder named Ethash. I don't know where it came from. Google said it's data miner or something. no idea what it is. Can I delete it? will it harm my PC if I delete it. Is it harming my PC now? Please help! Thank you...

I had the same sh*t and my anti virus EsetNod23 didn't find anything. You not only need to delete what's created you need to kill the creator. For me it was Java Update schedule, only found it with this:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/ , its shown as just a PUP.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey ı am prepare this video (turkish language but if you do it will help) this is a virüs/trojan another name is bitcoin miner