Recommend me a 2TB HDD and a 240GB SSD

Hey there,

I'm going to be planning my post-Christmas shopping list now...

So, I'm in the market for a 2TB HDD and a 240GB SSD...

Total predicted budget is approx 100USD (10% margin) total for both parts.

The HDD will be the new boot drive for my main rig and the SSD will go into a laptop...

This would be a reference site to what we have available on the shelves of most shops: http://pcx.com.ph/

Thanks.

Hey there,

I'm going to be planning my post-Christmas shopping list now...

So, I'm in the market for a 2TB HDD and a 240GB SSD...

Total predicted budget is approx 100USD (10% margin) for both.

The HDD will be the new boot drive for my main rig and the SSD will go into a laptop...

This would be a reference site to what we have available on the shelves of most shops: http://pcx.com.ph/

Thanks.

Total: $132.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 07:48 EST-0500

Total: $123.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 07:49 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $132.98

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 07:48 EST-0500

I'll check for A-data in the shops... it's one of the harder to find brands here... There's only one shop that I've seen that carries A-data drives...

The Seagate Barracuda costs 3800PhP (~81USD) at its cheapest as of week 1 of November during my last price check rounds...

How does the Barracuda compare to a WD Green?

Quite limited choices from that website, this is pretty hard imo

Well I choose these 2 for you :D

http://pcx.com.ph/components/seagate-2tb-7200rpm-3-5-sata-st2000dm001.html

http://pcx.com.ph/components/samsung-250gb-850-evo-solid-state-drive.html

No need to restrict yourself to the site... It's just a guideline... I have my ways of finding products via shops that don't have a web presence...

Also, that Samsung drive is way outside budget...

I'll check for A-data in the shops... it's one of the harder to find brands here... There's only one shop that I've seen that carries A-data drives...

The Seagate Barracuda costs 3800PhP (~81USD) at its cheapest as of week 1 of November during my last price check rounds...

No need to restrict yourself to the site... It's just a guideline... I have my ways of finding products via shops that don't have a web presence...

Depends on how often you use it. Slower also means less noise so there's pros and cons. If you launch games a lot then the 7200RPM is probably best, if you rarely use it or mostly for storage the 5400RPM might be best.

the wd green is a "low power" 5400 rpm drive , the barracuda is a 7200 rpm drive (faster).

The wd alternative for the barracuda would be the wd black , which is much more expensive.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Depends on how often you use it. Slower also means less noise so there's pros and cons. If you launch games a lot then the 7200RPM is probably best, if you rarely use it or mostly for storage the 5400RPM might be best.

the wd green is a "low power" 5400 rpm drive , the barracuda is a 7200 rpm drive (faster).

The wd alternative for the barracuda would be the wd black , which is much more expensive.

The 2TB drive will be a boot drive loaded with W8.1 and a Linux distro of my choice (possibly Debian, Kali, or Mint)...

All the HDDs in my main rig are Barracudas... I have an external HDD with what seems to be a WD Green (might be a Blue... haven't cracked it open yet...)... but the controller on it is a bit conservative since it puts the drive into a standby (non-spinning) state after 10 minutes of inactivity on the drive...

The 2TB drive will be a boot drive loaded with W8.1 and a Linux distro of my choice (possibly Debian, Kali, or Mint)...

All the HDDs in my main rig are Barracudas... I have an external HDD with what seems to be a WD Green (might be a Blue... haven't cracked it open yet...)... but the controller on it is a bit conservative since it puts the drive into a standby (non-spinning) state after 10 minutes of inactivity on the drive...

Go for the Barracuda then :)

Oh god, I'm really sorry for not reading your first post carefully.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K63K22299

Try to find this, it's a pretty strong budget-minded SSD 

I also looked up that Samsung SSD on the same website, 80 USD :D (well probably holiday sale on the U.S lol)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

Spoiler

Oh god, I'm really sorry for not reading your first post carefully.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K63K22299

Try to find this, it's a pretty strong budget-minded SSD 

I also looked up that Samsung SSD on the same website, 80 USD :D (well probably holiday sale on the U.S lol)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

the 120GB OCZ is within budget... (I'm putting priority on the HDD...)

The hunt is scheduled on Dec. 27.

Try and go for an 850 EVO and a WD Red or Blue.

See my first post. WD Red is outside budget... WD Blue has no 2TB flavor iirc...

850 EVO is outside budget (as per PCX link above)

the 120GB OCZ is within budget... (I'm putting priority on the HDD...)

The hunt is scheduled on Dec. 27.

See my first post. WD Red is outside budget... WD Blue has no 2TB flavor iirc...

850 EVO is outside budget (as per PCX link above)

Way to go, I thought you have to strictly buy a 240Gb one :P

Spoiler

Way to go, I thought you have to strictly buy a 240Gb one :P

I'd like a 240GB if possible since I'll be carrying all of my college documents on the drive along with approx 20GB of multimedia files in addition to a Linux distro and W8.1...

A smaller SSD is fine as long as it doesn't dip below 100GB... that would just be suicide for my use case...

I'd like a 240GB if possible since I'll be carrying all of my college documents on the drive along with approx 20GB of multimedia files in addition to a Linux distro and W8.1...

A smaller SSD is fine as long as it doesn't dip below 100GB... that would just be suicide for my use case...

I'm using a 120Gb SSD with WIndows 10 + Office 2013 + some needed softwares + 5 games (CSGO, Dota 2, LoL, FIFA Online 3, and DmC Devil May Cry), still have like ~46 47Gb of space left. Just giving you an idea

Spoiler

If you are willing to spend a little more on the ssd, I would highly recommend a Samsung 850 evo. I have one in my computer and it works great.

Unless anything is different there, 240 gb ssds are rarely more than 10-20 usd more than 120gb counterparts and as such are always worth getting instead. They also preform MUCH BETTER.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

~snip~

Hey there DigitalHermit,

Do you have a boot drive for your rig (SSD or another HDD)? If yes, a WD Green should be a good fit there. you can also check out WD Blue if it's available. Here's info for both drives:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

On topic though. Wd green or blue drives (actually all wd drives...) Are never worth buying unless notably cheaper than the competition. Indeed in general I would recommend the cheapest 7200 hdd you can get with hgst>tobisha(hgst rebrands on most of them)>wd>seagate being prefered brand order.

Wd blue and green drives are awful. Actually all but the black drives are awful on the consumer side... And all of them are overpriced (in North America at least)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Unless anything is different there, 240 gb ssds are rarely more than 10-20 usd more than 120gb counterparts and as such are always worth getting instead. They also preform MUCH BETTER.

I'll check market prices... I'm not too sure if it's just a 10-20USD increase from 120GB here... Prices here can be absolutely terrible at times...

Hey there DigitalHermit,

Do you have a boot drive for your rig (SSD or another HDD)? If yes, a WD Green should be a good fit there. you can also check out WD Blue if it's available. Here's info for both drives:

WD Green: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=s8dMFw

WD Blue: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=iLToIN

Captain_WD.

I'll check the local WD shop for prices. A WD Blue would be better for what I'm planning.