Wrong core clock on afterburner?

DannyDem
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Just checked and on the sensors tab it says the same value that afterburner shows... which is strange as the GPU is advertised as only having 1241mhz core clock which makes me worry

I started playing around with overclocking and such a few days back, is it possible that the overclock for some reason stayed even though I reset all the clocks on afterburner?

Video card manufacturers undersell their cards in terms of Boost speeds. A card may be advertised to run at 1300MHz while Boosting, but may actually hit 1350, or even 1400MHz without touching anything. It's normal and there's nothing wrong.

So for some reason when playing my core clock is saying 1367mhz while on GPU-Z says the boost clock is 1241mhz... so what should I trust? It's a G1 980ti

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

When using GPU-Z to monitor clocks, use the Sensors tab. Between what you're seeing in GPU-Z currently and MSI Afterburner, believe Afterburner.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

When using GPU-Z to monitor clocks, use the Sensors tab. Between what you're seeing in GPU-Z currently and MSI Afterburner, believe Afterburner.

Just checked and on the sensors tab it says the same value that afterburner shows... which is strange as the GPU is advertised as only having 1241mhz core clock which makes me worry

I started playing around with overclocking and such a few days back, is it possible that the overclock for some reason stayed even though I reset all the clocks on afterburner?

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

Video card manufacturers undersell their cards in terms of Boost speeds. A card may be advertised to run at 1300MHz while Boosting, but may actually hit 1350, or even 1400MHz without touching anything. It's normal and there's nothing wrong.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Oh alright good to know! Thanks :D