HTPC build help!

I have a LGA 775 motherboard lying around with everything but a processor , I was thinking of making a HTPC.

which one should I go for - Xeon E3110 or Core 2 Duo e8400

both have the same specs and the price is also good ($5-$10)

And can I run the xeon without a graphics card? I have a GT210 but just asking!

Thanks

xeons have no integrated graphics so you would need a gpu

and do you plan on gaming with it at all or just as a media pc?

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

You'd need that GT210 or another discrete GPU to use the Xeon

@TurkarYash

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I'm pretty sure neither has integrated GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I have a LGA 775 motherboard lying around with everything but a processor , I was thinking of making a HTPC.

which one should I go for - Xeon E3110 or Core 2 Duo e8400

both have the same specs and the price is also good ($5-$10)

And can I run the xeon without a graphics card? I have a GT210 but just asking!

Thanks

Hey there. If I'm not mistaken both those CPUs you mention don't have integrated graphics so you would need a GPU too. Is that HTPC meant for just multimedia stuff? If it's not meant for gaming then you could look into a CPU with an integrated graphics chip and be done with it. About those 2 CPUs, they look very similar, probably that is the model the Xeon is based on. They appear so have same thermal values, same clocks, same TDP, so I'd choose the cheaper I could get. But you'd need your GPU for those.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

I would say pick up a q6600 since it has integrated graphics and it is a quad core. You can find them for $20 on eBay or Amazon, while I'm at it what chipset/motherboard do you have?

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

The Q6600 doesn't have integrated graphics guys.  Some Intel chipsets that support the Q6600 have integrated graphics but that's going to depend on which mobo you have not which CPU.  Sandy Bridge was the first Intel CPU to integrate graphics into the CPU itself rather than the motherboard chipset.

xeons have no integrated graphics so you would need a gpu

and do you plan on gaming with it at all or just as a media pc?

Only media pc

Hey there. If I'm not mistaken both those CPUs you mention don't have integrated graphics so you would need a GPU too. Is that HTPC meant for just multimedia stuff? If it's not meant for gaming then you could look into a CPU with an integrated graphics chip and be done with it. About those 2 CPUs, they look very similar, probably that is the model the Xeon is based on. They appear so have same thermal values, same clocks, same TDP, so I'd choose the cheaper I could get. But you'd need your GPU for those.

The xeon is available for 10 bucks on Amazon so I thought it would be a good deal

The xeon is available for 10 bucks on Amazon so I thought it would be a good deal

they are about the same, i would go with the xeon and you will need a dedicated gpu but just about any will work for just a media pc 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

they are about the same, i would go with the xeon and you will need a dedicated gpu but just about any will work for just a media pc 

thanks , I will go with the xeon and use my gt210