Low power home server.

Ghost

I want to build a low power home server. I have about £200 to spend on it without HDDs included in that budget.

My only requirement is that it must be small and very low powered as it will be on ALL the time.

Any suggestions for a motherboard, CPU and PSU?

I have been looking at intel atom cpus.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

What WHS software you looking to run on it? Something like unRaid or FreeNAS? Then ya, an Atom probably be your best bet. Going to run Windows Home Server? Don't think it will even install on a Atom. Also, have you look at AMD APU option? I am not sure how they comapre, but they are also supposed to have some low power options.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

It's a shame you can't really get the AMD E-350 anymore. Not a power hungry chip which puts out decent performance. I've seen quite a few of them in NAS setups and their owners are very happy.

I did see that Aria has a couple of bundles with an E350 and a Gigabyte mini-ITX board for about 60 quid that you may want to look into however you'd have to get a cheap little RAID card or something to go with it. That's probably going to be your biggest money draw too. A very basic low wattage PSU but not something too crappy should be about another 30ish and then there's just the case. Something like a Fractal Core 1000 or even one of those basic CiT cases with the 300w PSU might work too.

Just a starting point I guess..

I guess I might just use my old x2 chip. I have an x6 I could put in there but that's just unnecessary and I would prefer to sell the x6.

PSU is the hardest to find. I need something at about 200W but there are no gold/plat rated PSUs in that power bracket.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.