[DIY] How to make your own simple headset stand.

ClownFace1511

vawVK1l.png

Tired of hanging your headset over your monitor, throwing it on your desk or even on the floor? Looking for a solution without spending a lot of money and time? Well you're in the right place. Here is a step by step easy guide (I hope) to making a headset stand.

Here is an example of my headset stand I made to match my table using some offcuts of wood.

E10ZOef.jpg

Tools:

• Something to cut your wood with ( Handsaw, Jigsaw, Bandsaw, Table Saw, etc)
  • Drill
  • Screwdriver (Phillips or Flat)
  • Paint brush
  • Ruler
  • Pencil

Materials:

• Wood: This can be any type of wood you want, offcuts or spare timber you have laying around. Preferably in good condition.

• 1 or 2  Self tapping screws: Depending on the thickness of wood you may need different length screws, can be a phillips or flat head.

• Glue (Optional) : Most glues will work such as PVA glue, wood glue.

• Paint or Lacquer: You can choose if you want to paint it or not

• Sanding Paper

• Creativity

Steps of Construction:

1. To start the project you want to create some plans so that your headset will fit on the stand. Grab your headset and measure the length of the inside. Place one end of the ruler on your headset band and then measure the distance to the bottom of the ear cups. As you can see below, my distance in 19cm. Write down your measurements so you don’t forget.

fbdNhgB.jpg

2. Using the ruler, measure the width of your headset band. Mines 4cm but yours might be different.

TwqF00r.jpg

3. The final measurement will be the thickness of the band. Some bands have a lot of padding and some don’t have any, it will differ for each headset. As you can see mines 2cm.

pJPj0Iu.jpg

4. With these 3 measurements we can now start designing your stand. You first want to work out the stand piece then the base. In the picture I have drawn up my stand. There is a cut-out at the top where your headset will be seated. I have labelled all the dimensions in red so you can change my numbers with your measurements.

Note:  I have added 5cm to the height length so that my headset doesn't touch the bottom of the stand, if you want it longer or shorter you can change it. In blue you can see how much wood I have left on each side, you can change this if you want.

ARjtdsw.png

5. Once the cut out is done you can change the design of the stand. I have left mine as a straight piece but you can change that if you want to. Now that your stand plan is created you can design the base. Its up to you want you want to do, maybe just a square piece or a triangle or something fancy. I’d suggest you make your base bigger than 5cm x 5cm as it may fall over otherwise.

6. Get a piece of timber and either use what you have drawn up as a template or redraw it on the timber. My timber thickness was 3cm because that what I had spare but you can make it out of any thickness. I’d suggest 1.5cm or more.

7. Once everything is marked on your piece of timber use a handsaw or a power tool such as a jigsaw or bandsaw to cut out the width of your stand and then the area where your headset will sit. Using some sandpaper clean up the sharp edges of where you have cut. I’d recommend using  240 grit sandpaper for the edges but if you don’t have it then use what you have.

8. Once you have cut out your stand also cut out your base and as before sand down the edges.

9. Work out the middle of your base and place the stand on top. On the bottom of the stand work out where you want the two screws to be or depending on how you have designed the stand you may only need one. When marked out on the stand, copy that point onto the base.

5sX0B6j.png

10. Using a drill, predrill those holes you marked Use a drill bit around 6mm to create a small hole, this makes it easier to screw the base to your stand.

XoV1BLi.png

11. Place some glue on the bottom of the stand, line it up with the holes in your base and place it down. Once this is done, place a screw in each hole and screw it through the base into the stand. Make sure your screws are long enough to go through the base to the stand before you screw them in.

iMBvHzZ.png

12. The stand construction is now complete and you can sand it down. Using sandpaper with a grit of 240 or more stand down the whole headset stand to create a clean finish, don’t over sand. Sand enough to get rid of any scratches, dents or pencil parks you may have made.

Sk3vDV2.jpg

13. Dust the stand off and you can start to paint or lacquer. With painting you may need 1 or 2 coats, it really depends on what paint you have. As for lacquering you will need at least 3 coats to get a good finish making sure to use steel wool or 360 grit sandpaper in between to remove the bubbles and create a smooth finish. If you use sand paper just do a really light sand, you don’t want to sand off the lacquer. Make sure to wait for the coat to dry before you sand or recoat your finish.

1sYHnZD.jpg

14. Once it is all dry you can use your stand. I put some little stick on soft feet at the bottom so it won’t scratch my desk or you can Blue-Tack to stick it to your table.

WG2cy4e.jpg

If you wouldn't mind uploading a pic of the stand you make that would be great. Hope this helped you a bit and i’m looking forward to seeing some cool stands that you guys have created.

Thanks

ClownFace.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

Nice guide. I gotta make some stands that'll conform to the headband of my headphones or they change shape over time.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Nice!

You may want to sand down the part that actually holds the headphones so it has a more natural curve and doesn't give the headphones any funky shapes though.

I personally use my Blue Yeti microphone as a headphone stand.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Very nice! :)

Plus one for using metric

Personally I use these desk rail thingy

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Meanwhile I'll just 3d print one :D

Anyways, looks nice! You could wall mount it even!

I like the choice of wood too, but do tell, what did it cost in the end?

For me $0. I had that timber spare from my table, I had glue and lacquer lying around, and I took 2 screws from my dads shed. Took me about 30mins to wip together. If you had to buy that stuff it would cost you around $10-$15 depending on where you live. Most of this stuff you should have lying around somewhere so it shouldn't cost anything.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I'm not as skillful, so I just use a toilet paper holder from Ikea.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Sweet! 

Although I would add some padding, or round of the edges a bit more to avoid making dents in the foam on the headphones.