Freenas question on adding another HDD

I currently have 1 4tb red in my freenas machine. I bought another 4tb red and would like to put it in raid 1 with the other for safety reasons. Would doing this cause the already installed/used HDD to delete whats on there? If so how do i make it not do that?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

I currently have 1 4tb red in my freenas machine. I bought another 4tb red and would like to put it in raid 1 with the other for safety reasons. Would doing this cause the already installed/used HDD to delete whats on there? If so how do i make it not do that?

Yes because it is formatting the drive with the Raid info and will format both drives.

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Also pls follow your post.  ;)

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Yes because it is formatting the drive with the Raid info and will format both drives.

How would i go about getting it off? I dont have an extra 4tb drive laying around :/

Also pls follow your post.  ;)

I did?

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Did you put it in ZFS when you set it up? Also how much data exactly is on there?

you could put two more drives into your NAS, format them in Raid1 and then copy the data over.  You could also take the new two drives and stripe them into the existing pool.  If you were gonna do that, might as well get three more and just make a RaidZ1.  If all you could afford is one drive though, why'd you make a NAS in the first place?

If you're gonna expand your storage, better to plan it this time so you don't end up in this situation again.  If you don't need that much storage and 4TB is way too much for your needs, three good 3TB drives would probably be a better option in RaidZ1 for security.  Those Toshibas (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149408) are the best deal price/gigabyte out there at the moment and I can say from personal experience are rock solid.  Just be aware with RaidZ1 or any other single parity you're depending on not losing two drives at once.  Also from personal experience, this can happen A LOT.  Rebuilds on each parity of a 3TB drive are around 6 hours, and that's with it only about 1/3 filled.

So, in short, "security" is expensive, but single drives are cheap.  Pick your poison or just keep cold backups of your single drive, especially if you don't care about availability, since that's what RAID is really for after all.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Did you put it in ZFS when you set it up? Also how much data exactly is on there?

about 2-3 tbs is on there. Yes i set up ZFS

you could put two more drives into your NAS, format them in Raid1 and then copy the data over.  You could also take the new two drives and stripe them into the existing pool.  If you were gonna do that, might as well get three more and just make a RaidZ1.  If all you could afford is one drive though, why'd you make a NAS in the first place?

If you're gonna expand your storage, better to plan it this time so you don't end up in this situation again.  If you don't need that much storage and 4TB is way too much for your needs, three good 3TB drives would probably be a better option in RaidZ1 for security.  Those Toshibas (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149408) are the best deal price/gigabyte out there at the moment and I can say from personal experience are rock solid.  Just be aware with RaidZ1 or any other single parity you're depending on not losing two drives at once.  Also from personal experience, this can happen A LOT.  Rebuilds on each parity of a 3TB drive are around 6 hours, and that's with it only about 1/3 filled.

So, in short, "security" is expensive, but single drives are cheap.  Pick your poison or just keep cold backups of your single drive, especially if you don't care about availability, since that's what RAID is really for after all.

Whyd i make a NAS in the first place?? Um because i wanted to have 4tb of network attached storage while also running Vm's and plex... Its been working great just decided that i should probably have a second drive incase the first one broke. 

Whyd i make a NAS in the first place?? Um because i wanted to have 4tb of network attached storage while also running Vm's and plex... Its been working great just decided that i should probably have a second drive incase the first one broke. 

then it's all about how much you care about availability.  You could just as easily use the second drive to backup the first one and put it in a shoebox in your closet every month.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

about 2-3 tbs is on there. Yes i set up ZFS

Ok, Good..

1st: What is the name of the Zpool?

2nd: What are the ID's of the drives (IE: ADA0)

I can give you a command to run in the shell with this info to add that second drive to your pool without loosing data