ModMic - Omni vs Uni?

CC268

My room is very quiet, but I do have a mechanical keyboard (Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown)...is it best to go with omni directional or uni directional for gaming?

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

uni

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I tried both because I am in the process of re doing my whole set up. For my use I found the uni to be better because I do have a few noises that the omni picked up. the Omni sounds every so slightly better if you have no real noise to worry about. On a side note I kept neither becuase they sound like shit overall compared to other mics I already have but trying to move away from. They are a value option and sound like a value option IMO. 

I mean it's for gaming I'm not trying out for a voice audition haha

Suprising because I think your the first person I've ran into who thinks the quality is bad.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

I would personally go with Uni. If you want a microphone designed to pick up stuff in the room, an omni modmic is not what you want to be getting.

Thanks guys I will get the uni then

If you want a microphone designed to pick up stuff in the room, an omni modmic is not what you want to be getting.

I think you have something backwards

I think you have something backwards

What I meant is that if you were really interested in a microphone that could pick up stuff in a wide area, then getting a Modmic 3.0 would not be a good option, because there are tons of better mics for that purpose, and for the price. Omnidirectional mics are not really useful for headset situations.

Should have made it clearer. Sorry :P

What I meant is that if you were really interested in a microphone that could pick up stuff in a wide area, then getting a Modmic 3.0 would not be a good option, because there are tons of better mics for that purpose, and for the price.

Should have made it clearer. Sorry [emoji14]

Ah, yes.

The omni isn't made for that purpose, however. The omni version certaily sounds better - because of how the noise cancelling in the uni works, you get some sounds canceled out when they should be picked up.

It's a trade-off everyone has to make for themselves and their environment: clearer sound with undesirable background/room noises, or a lower quality but audible voice without other distracting sounds.