Alienware Graphics Amplifier part replacement/mod

Dante_Alucard

Hi guys, I wanted to share my experience with the amplifier for alienware laptops. My first impression besides being a cool add on was "this is too loud". So a took the task to find out why and how to change it since I had 2 desktops before that where completely silent. After opening the amplifier I saw a small fan, which after being disconnected reduced the noise level quite a bit, so I changed that fan for a noctua nf a9 92mm fan. This was a big change in the noise level, but now the power supply fan was doing more noise and after win10 upgrade, it was doing a rather annoying coil whine so I tried to change but after trying several models it was clear that I had to cut something to fit the PSU in, so I did, a few cuts here and there in the amplifier and the PSU was in. So now I have a pretty silent graphics amplifier with a windforce gtx 970 and a corsair cx750 feeding it. Probably I'll change the cx for a rm and get a custom part to redirect and split the fan airflow evenly between the psu and the gpu. Pleade let me know what you think :) and if you want more details I'll be happy to share.

post-152806-0-09919800-1443469225_thumb.

post-152806-0-63354400-1443469242_thumb.

post-152806-0-78713100-1443469255_thumb.

post-152806-0-26719200-1443469266_thumb.

Why no AX1200i?

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Nice! 750 watts are definitely overkill for this, if I were you I'd get a REALLY nice 450w power supply and call it a day; this one for example.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That should also work, probably with a little bit more cuts since it is larger than the CX750, I would prefer to stay on the 700w for psu given that the gpu, 1 fan, keybouard and mouse are drawing power from it. Probably an AX 760 will do the trick, it depends on the price, (this CX750 was dirty cheap, thats why I picked it :P)

lookin bootleg as hell

I agree, the corsair looks and works better xD, but probably I'll follow Sauron's advice and later on change for that fanless SeaSonic, but with that change I would like to have the division between the gpu and the PSU, so the heat of the gpu does not affect the psu.  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I wanted to share my experience with the amplifier for alienware laptops. My first impression besides being a cool add on was "this is too loud". So a took the task to find out why and how to change it since I had 2 desktops before that where completely silent. After opening the amplifier I saw a small fan, which after being disconnected reduced the noise level quite a bit, so I changed that fan for a noctua nf a9 92mm fan. This was a big change in the noise level, but now the power supply fan was doing more noise and after win10 upgrade, it was doing a rather annoying coil whine so I tried to change but after trying several models it was clear that I had to cut something to fit the PSU in, so I did, a few cuts here and there in the amplifier and the PSU was in. So now I have a pretty silent graphics amplifier with a windforce gtx 970 and a corsair cx750 feeding it. Probably I'll change the cx for a rm and get a custom part to redirect and split the fan airflow evenly between the psu and the gpu. Pleade let me know what you think :) and if you want more details I'll be happy to share.

How difficult was it to fit the new PSU? Any pics of the process?

I'm wondering if the original PSU is what's holding the GA back from running a 295X2 (according to Alienware it isn't compatible). I'm thinking this will likely be the case for the upcoming Fury X2 as well so replacing the PSU might be very useful. Perhaps it's due to a CrossFire issue, though, and replacing the PSU won't help.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for necroing this thread. But I have exactly the same PSU and fan setup as in the initial pic.

However I'm not able to close the lid, as the PSU is too high. Also, I am unable to connect my fan (hence thinking of going water cooled instead).

Would you have any further guidance or pictures re this setup (esp the fan cable connection)?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finding really hard to find a power supply with the very specific layout to fit the AGA PSU faceplate.  Can you guys pretty pleeease share a picture and specific model information of the PSU you are using in your graphics amplifier?

I have a 1080 ti running on it with the stock PSU.  It runs ok at 1080p every game I tried on Ultra with no issues so far.  But would like to upgrade the PSU to something with more than 600W.

Thanks! Please advise... :3

IMG_20170524_205508.jpg