Want to buy a new monitor, scared about 7ms response

KamiQueso

Hi everyone, firstly I'm new here so please excuse me for anything that I do wrong.

Anyways, I want to buy the HP 23xi (link below) because it has very positive reviews and I need a new monitor anyways.

Everything that this monitor brings to the table seems perfect for me but I'm not too sure about the response time. I play FPS games (mostly battlefield). I'm not a totally hardcore gamer but I do play quite often. I know this is a common problem but is it really a big one? Should I care about the input lag?

Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176424

I have a 6ms response monitor and it's perfectly fine, and this is coming from a person who previously had a 2ms response monitor

also for the same price, you can get the monitor that I have you can shell and extra $5
http://www.amazon.com/Series-PB238Q-23-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00906GBBC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376433373&sr=8-1&keywords=PB238Q

I'll tell you this. I went from a Benq TN monitor with 1MS to my Asus PA238Q IPS monitor with 6MS. I noticed 0 difference. I'm still as good at FPS games, MMORPG games and singleplayer games are just as enjoyable.

I really noticed 0 difference. And the color difference was amazing. IPS > TN by far.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I have a bigger problem anymore with 60Hz monitors than response time. But I also never owned an LCD above 5ms. (120+ FTW )

I have a bigger problem anymore with 60Hz monitors than response time. But I also never owned an LCD above 5ms. (120+ FTW )

From TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review sites:

BenQ XL2410t 120Hz 1ms response time:

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

Dell U2410 60Hz 6ms response time:

dell_u2410.jpg

There is no error in the measurement.

The reason for this, is that there is no standard way for measuring response time. Every manufacture measure response time differently with different equipment. The way they measure response time, is that they measure the time a pixel changes from 1 color (gray) to another one (also gray). But which gray to which gray? The same gray (see 1ms)?

In this case, that BenQ is actually a 60Hz monitor overclocked by BenQ to 120Hz, and not a real 120Hz TN panel, hence the horrible real life response time. Newer models and popular models are true 120Hz panels to my knowledge.

The point is: Check reviews. Response Time is a just a useless as "dynamic contrast ratio".

I'll tell you this. I went from a Benq TN monitor with 1MS to my Asus PA238Q IPS monitor with 6MS. I noticed 0 difference. I'm still as good at FPS games, MMORPG games and singleplayer games are just as enjoyable.

I really noticed 0 difference. And the color difference was amazing. IPS > TN by far.

Thanks for the info!

Don't worry about it, that's pretty low response time.

That being said, this may be a better option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

It's cheaper, and has audio pass-through which might come in handy sometime.

Seems like a good alternative, will check it out

Turns out it's not available in my country but the H236HLBmjd is available here and that's basically the same thing. It's 15 bucks more than the HP one, I do really like the design and the warranty since I'm going to use this monitor for quite some time. Still worth it? 

From TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review sites:

BenQ XL2410t 120Hz 1ms response time:

benq_xl2410t_120_ama_on.jpg

Dell U2410 60Hz 6ms response time:

dell_u2410.jpg

There is no error in the measurement.

The reason for this, is that there is no standard way for measuring response time. Every manufacture measure response time differently with different equipment. The way they measure response time, is that they measure the time a pixel changes from 1 color (gray) to another one (also gray). But which gray to which gray? The same gray (see 1ms)?

In this case, that BenQ is actually a 60Hz monitor overclocked by BenQ to 120Hz, and not a real 120Hz TN panel, hence the horrible real life response time. Newer models and popular models are true 120Hz panels to my knowledge.

The point is: Check reviews. Response Time is a just a useless as "dynamic contrast ratio".

I didn't say anything about the response time. I'm talking about the refreshrate. 60 sucks, simple as that. If you think otherwise, use your 60, try a 120, go back to your 60............ from gaming to everyday usage.. ( internet/videos, etc. ) 60 give you headaches or does it seem sluggish?

I was not referring to you. The OP (KamiQueso), was concerned about the response time of the monitor.

Also, Xelithium was referring that he saw no difference. And you saying "But I also never owned an LCD above 5ms"

I never said anything bad about 120Hz monitors. They are great! I can't wait to see true 120Hz IPS monitors, in the near future (base don the assumption that IPS panel continued to be faster and faster without any drawbacks, at every generation, which they are currently doing since the several years from now)

The reason I picked the example above, is that it was showing kinda of a worse case scenario. I used to use another monitor, but people said right after "well it's not 120Hz... 120Hz won't be this bad, no mater what". Well my point is that it could happen. Also, it's to show that the IPS panel, despite 6ms, at least the ones mentioned, does compete nicely with high-end 60Hz TN panel in terms of performance, which claim 1 or 2ms response time.

Sorry for not being clear on that.

60Hz doesn't give you headackes. As you can see on how an LCD (TN panel - white LED backlight) monitor works, the image doesn't flicker. It stays steady on the screen. It refresh each frame slower. So it can't give you headaches. The reason why SOME people have headaches, is because some monitor (mostly the budget ones), uses a PWM or if you prefer: Pulse Width Modulation. It is a system to control the backlight that is inexpensive, where it flicker the backlight from max intensity to off. Lower the brightness of the monitor you set, the slower the flickering goes. Some people have sensitive eyes, so it causes them headaches. The flickering is not visible as it's so fast, but the brain ain't really fooled. It knows something is wrong, and tries to fix it. The brain visual cortex does some heavy duty image processing on what we see. fast flickering is seen as a smooth image, we process information not by frame, but continuously and analyses lines, edges, and so on, to identify objects easier and perception.. heck it even uses crazy guessing to hide our black spot that we should normally see, but don't. So the flickering is perceived by the brain, and smooth it out. So you have a headache and you don't know why. :)

In terms of animation 60Hz is very smooth, you dont' see thing choppy (set your monitor to 60Hz, and you'll see for yourself), however, yes, it's not as smooth and nice as 120Hz monitor. FPS gaming is where 120Hz monitor (assuming you can play your FPS at above 60fps.. let's say more than 90fps, as I don't think 75Hz form 60Hz will be noticeable), really shines, as you have continuous fast action going on.

in other genres, not so much. But you do see your mouse move more smoothly across the screen if you pay attention to it.

I like 120Hz monitors. But for me, PERSONALLY, if I had to choose (which I did), between better colors, better view angle, increase sharpness, and improve contrast (so IPS panel), over speed (120Hz TN). I would pick IPS. But if there is a true 120Hz IPS panel, then you can be sure I would get it, and support it.