Custom 3D Printed Case

aidenthereno

Linus Tech Tips should design and make a custom PC case with all the guys' ideas using the Ultimaker 2 Extended

you will see in time, tomorrow morning

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

you subs to their vessel? 

yep

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

Infact, look over there ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

(and no, it's not with the Ultimaker)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

That probably would be more expensive then buying a case.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

That probably would be more expensive then buying a case.

PLA isn't that expensive

PLA isn't that expensive

But do to the FDM process you will need sh!t tons of it to make a reasonably strong case. Not only that if you screw up with your CAD file you're going to have to start over again wasting whatever material you have already committed to the failed print. Also there is just plain bad luck with the printer screwing up.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

But do to the FDM process you will need sh!t tons of it to make a reasonably strong case. Not only that if you screw up with your CAD file you're going to have to start over again wasting whatever material you have already committed to the failed print. Also there is just plain bad luck with the printer screwing up.

The only way around this would be to print parts that are then combined afterwards, but it would leave weak points in the chassis after the build. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

whats that flexible fillament from maker-bot? (they should print LMG phone cases with that, since they have knowitalldoitall google sketchup expert taran aboard they should be able to print cases for phones like the octagonal super-smart-pocketputer 9000 that denis is using) /s

a pc case made from pla wil colapse in on itsself and catch fire after a while due to pla`s low melting temperature.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

For the people mentioning it, according to the video Linus's personal rig case will NOT be 3D printed; it's going to be manufactured of the same materials and using the same basic techniques as a normal case, just custom made.

a pc case made from pla wil colapse in on itsself and catch fire after a while due to pla`s low melting temperature.

If your case gets 60c hot you are doing it wrong anyway

ABS is what they would use and its cheaper/ more durable.

A 3D printed part in PLA is MUCH stronger than a part printed in ABS. This is because PLA has much stronger layer bonding than ABS.

https://3dfizzr.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/some-facts-about-the-most-common-3d-printing-materials-pla-vs-abs/

I am talking about the durability, although your article did say molded abs was stronger xD. So since pla isn't flexible it would just shatter. If Linus was to make a 3D printed case he would use abs because its way easier to work with and more durable. Fun having a 3D printer discussion, we need a subform. 

My references

1st picture: https://3dfizzr.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/some-facts-about-the-most-common-3d-printing-materials-pla-vs-abs/

2nd picture: http://www.protoparadigm.com/news-updates/the-difference-between-abs-and-pla-for-3d-printing/

post-195990-0-02892400-1443143437.png

post-195990-0-04485900-1443143442.png

Bronze filmant is a thing.. Probably durable enough for this Idea.

Sorry didn't mean to hit post :P, so copper/brass filament is also a thing but they are far to expensive for a large project like this. 

I am talking about the durability, although your article did say molded abs was stronger xD.

Molded.

• 2 weeks later...

But like I was saying DURABILITY.

PLA is very durable

PLA is very durable

With intricate things it chips but don't get me wrong for a lot of things I use PLA. If Linus was to make a 3D printed case he would use abs it is more durable, for me easier to work with, and it is cheaper. 

this getting tiresome to hear.  3d printing doesnt mean you can make something to use in everyday life.  the technology was developed to allow engineers rapidly produce parts to test or show.  you cant blindly replace one material with another. there is a reason why metal has been used for computer cases for the last 4 decades or so.

with that said, there are new techs coming out that can build stuff with everyday durabilty but no youtuber had access to one.

please remember right tool for the right job, this printing a pc case is not a right tool for your intended use.