Displayport 1.0 vs 1.2 for 1440p IPS@144Hz

SuperCactus
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

I've tried googling this, and I'm having an unusually hard time finding out the maximum capabilities of different versions of displayport.

Displayport 1.2 offers twice the bandwidth. Both support 4K at 60hz.

However, 144hz at 1440p requires much greater bandwidth than 4K at 60hz. So I'm wondering if displayport 1.0 can even handle the 144Hz.

144Hz at 1440p requires about the same amount of bandwidth as 4K 60Hz. 12Gbps for 4K@60 vs 12.7Gbps for 1440@144. DisplayPort 1.2 can carry up to 17.28Gbps, ~4K 75Hz. DisplayPort 1.1 maxes out at half that, and is not capable of 2560x1440 at 144Hz.

But there are no 2560x1440 144Hz monitors with DisplayPort 1.1 or below anyway for that exact reason, and the last graphics cards with DP 1.1 were the GeForce 500 series cards, so it's a bit of a moot point, you won't be dealing with a DisplayPort connection below 1.2 with any newer hardware. And if you're just shopping for cables, be aware that DisplayPort cables do not have revisions. There is only one type of DisplayPort cable.

I've tried googling this, and I'm having an unusually hard time finding out the maximum capabilities of different versions of displayport.

However, 144hz at 1440p requires much greater bandwidth than 4K at 60hz. So I'm wondering if displayport 1.0 can even handle the 144Hz.

144Hz at 1440p requires about the same amount of bandwidth as 4K 60Hz. 12Gbps for 4K@60 vs 12.7Gbps for 1440@144. DisplayPort 1.2 can carry up to 17.28Gbps, ~4K 75Hz. DisplayPort 1.1 maxes out at half that, and is not capable of 2560x1440 at 144Hz.

But there are no 2560x1440 144Hz monitors with DisplayPort 1.1 or below anyway for that exact reason, and the last graphics cards with DP 1.1 were the GeForce 500 series cards, so it's a bit of a moot point, you won't be dealing with a DisplayPort connection below 1.2 with any newer hardware. And if you're just shopping for cables, be aware that DisplayPort cables do not have revisions. There is only one type of DisplayPort cable.

-snip-

And if you're just shopping for cables, be aware that DisplayPort cables do not have revisions. There is only one type of DisplayPort cable.

http://www.cablematters.com/pc-32-33-gold-plated-displayport-to-hdmi-male-to-female-cable-adapter.aspx

It says "Supports 8.64Gbps bandwidth" Which would be the 1.1 version.

So are you saying, the cable doesn't matter; only the PORT on the monitor/graphics card matters?

So all the cables are basically all the same?

http://www.cablematters.com/pc-32-33-gold-plated-displayport-to-hdmi-male-to-female-cable-adapter.aspx

It says "Supports 8.64Gbps bandwidth" Which would be the 1.1 version.

So are you saying, the cable doesn't matter; only the PORT on the monitor/graphics card matters?

So all the cables are basically all the same?

Yes, basically. Here's DisplayPort.org's official word on it:

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable.  A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities.  All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

While retailers may try to sell you a more expensive cable touting it will provide a better picture quality, we are here to debunk that myth. Contrary to what you may think, the more expensive cable will not give you a better picture quality.  DisplayPort uses packetized data, similar to USB and Ethernet, to send digital display and audio data, therefore you either get all of the data or you don’t.  Unlike other older video interfaces, you don’t get a “better” picture or other incremental improvements with a more expensive cable.

A cable is just a bunch of copper strings leading from one side to the other. Barring EM interference (which can be corrected by the receiving device with digital signals) there's nothing in the cable that determines the capabilities of your connection. It's just about what features and data rates the control chips in each device can mutually handle.