ModMic 4.0 Sounds like a webcam mic

itaroken_

Hi,

So my ModMic 4.0 uni-directional (with mute button) just arrived and I've plugged it in using the front mic input. It is working, because I can hear my voice, but it literally sounds like a webcam microphone and there's a lot of fuzz. If I type using my loud cherry mx red keyboard, you can barely hear the clicky-clacky of it, so I don't think noise cancelling is an issue... I'm using the MSI Gaming 5 motherboard, and the microphone levels are at 100 otherwise it is extremely quiet. When the microphone boost is turned on, it sounds even worse. What should I do?

Thanks

itaroken

Hi,

So my ModMic 4.0 uni-directional (with mute button) just arrived and I've plugged it in using the front mic input. It is working, because I can hear my voice, but it literally sounds like a webcam microphone and there's a lot of fuzz. If I type using my loud cherry mx red keyboard, you can barely hear the clicky-clacky of it, so I don't think noise cancelling is an issue... I'm using the MSI Gaming 5 motherboard, and the microphone levels are at 100 otherwise it is extremely quiet. When the microphone boost is turned on, it sounds even worse. What should I do?

Thanks

Plug it in on the back of the motherboard.

Front jacks are subject to ALOT of EMI. Use the jack on the motherboard

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Done that, now the audio quality is great but there's A LOT of background fuzz.

itaroken

Try using some noise cancellation software?

Sig under construction.

idk then...... have same mic without any issues.

Try using some noise cancellation software?

I have enabled 'Noise Suppression' on Windows, and have also enabled 'Noise Suppression' on 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'. Is Realtek the issue here?

itaroken

I have enabled 'Noise Suppression' on Windows, and have also enabled 'Noise Suppression' on 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'. Is Realtek the issue here?

It's possible. Play around with the settings and see if you can get the background noise down. I have the same mic plugged into the rear I/O and it's fuzz-free.

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

Turn up bitrate in Recording options in control panel to 96k hz + and remove all enchancements, Fixed it for me.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Turn up bitrate in Recording options in control panel to 96k hz + and remove all enchancements, Fixed it for me.

I disabled all sounds effects (enhancements) and changed the bitrate to 96k hz. Still has the same amount of background fuzz.

I also tried the 24 bit, 96k hz setting and it remains the same.

post-60553-0-34132400-1439386103.png

Edited by Lilyoftheworld

itaroken

I disabled all sounds effects (enhancements) and changed the bitrate to 96k hz. Still has the same amount of background fuzz.

I also tried the 24 bit, 96k hz setting and it remains the same.

Do you have gain on at all?

Heres what mine sounds like for comparison  (before my cat bit the cable in half) There is SOME noise, however you really do need these mics right in front of your mouth (like 1cm in front of the corner of your mouth) for them to be loud. I ran mine at 70% volume in front panel audio, with no enhancements and no noise reduction software.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

None that I can see. Where would I be able to find the option? Should I buy a USB soundcard? A lot of people have said that it actually needs a soundcard to work properly. Not sure.

itaroken

Heres what mine sounds like for comparison  (before my cat bit the cable in half) There is SOME noise, however you really do need these mics right in front of your mouth (like 1cm in front of the corner of your mouth) for them to be loud. I ran mine at 70% volume in front panel audio, with no enhancements and no noise reduction software.

I put it right in the corner of my mouth, at 100% volume with no extra enhancements at all, and there is less background fuzz, but still way too much.

itaroken

I put it right in the corner of my mouth, at 100% volume with no extra enhancements at all, and there is less background fuzz, but still way too much.

What programs are you using the mic in mostly?

What programs are you using the mic in mostly?

I tried recording in Audacity, and then checked on Skype with the skype call testing service. I will be using it mostly in Skype and Teamspeak.

itaroken

I tried recording in Audacity, and then checked on Skype with the skype call testing service. I will be using it mostly in Skype and Teamspeak.

Mine was recorded in audacity, In ts run echo reduction and remove background noise. Skype audio quality is normally so crappy nobody will notice