Clean install Windows 10

Sdot

I have my Windows 8.1 on a HDD right now but my ultimate goal is to get Windows 10 onto this new ssd that I still have inside of the box.

Could someone tell me the steps I need to take? I've been reading around a bit but just decided to go ahead and post as well. I went to download the tool so that I can upgrade because from what I have been reading, upgrading is the first step.

Do I just go ahead and hit Upgrade this PC now? or create the installation media for another PC (Which will actually be the same pc, just onto the ssd instead of this hdd)?

install 8.1 on your new sdd. upgrate to 10. thn do a fresh install. key will be activated automatically after fresh install. this is the only way.

if you don't change your motherboard you're fine. it's considered as the same PC.

install 8.1 on your new sdd. upgrate to 10. thn do a fresh install. key will be activated automatically after fresh install. this is the only way.

if you don't change your motherboard you're fine. it's considered as the same PC.

Where do I get the 8.1 from? I originally got it digitally for free from my school.

1. Put ssd in computer [hook up data and power]

2. Unplug hdd in computer [this is so you don't delete all the stuff on it]

3. Create the media needed [boot drive with windows 10 iso]

3. Run windows 10 installer from the bios [you can find out how to get it in my sig.[links might be broken, but all you need is the iso]]

4. BOOM! [You can use some of the instructions in the guide in my sig to help you out.[Drivers]]

PS. If you hit upgrade, it will put windows on your hdd, and it will give you an option to delete all files or keep them

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Where do I get the 8.1 from? I originally got it digitally for free from my school.

I'm almost positive you can download it from Microsoft.

1. Put ssd in computer [hook up data and power]

2. Unplug hdd in computer [this is so you don't delete all the stuff on it]

3. Create the media needed [boot drive with windows 10 iso]

3. Run windows 10 installer from the bios [you can find out how to get it in my sig.[links might be broken, but all you need is the iso]]

4. BOOM! [You can use some of the instructions in the guide in my sig to help you out.[Drivers]]

PS. If you hit upgrade, it will put windows on your hdd, and it will give you an option to delete all files or keep them

Don't do that!

You first have to upgrade from windows 8.1, otherwise your Windows 10 won't be activated.

I did that error and had to reinstall my Win 8 and upgrade. Than you can do a fresh install of Win 10.

(Or do that after you upgraded first)

Don't do that!

You first have to upgrade from windows 8.1, otherwise your Windows 10 won't be activated.

I did that error and had to reinstall my Win 8 and upgrade. Than you can do a fresh install of Win 10.

(Or do that after you upgraded first)

Thank you for replying when you did, I was about to start this process right now.

so I go here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and grab the 64 bit version and just hit upgrade this pc?

After I am sitting with windows 10 on my hdd, How do I "switch" the os to the ssd?

Thank you for replying when you did, I was about to start this process right now.

so I go here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and grab the 64 bit version and just hit upgrade this pc?

After I am sitting with windows 10 on my hdd, How do I "switch" the os to the ssd?

Yes that should work. At least it worked for me.

To switch, you then click "create installation media for another PC" in the upgrade program and create a bootable usb stick or burn a DVD.

Than you boot from the usb/DVD and install to your SSD. Done.

Yes that should work. At least it worked for me.

To switch, you then click "create installation media for another PC" in the upgrade program and create a bootable usb stick or burn a DVD.

Than you boot from the usb/DVD and install to your SSD. Done.

Alright, thanks everyone. I'm going to try this now.