Windows suddenly taking much longer to boot [SOLUTION]

This is a problem I had today which took several hours of searching and trial and error to find the correct solution. I am making this post to facilitate finding the solution on google.

The Problem:

-Your boot times have increased by anywhere from 10 to 100 seconds

-This happened rapidly. You remember it being fast, and at some point it became this slow instantly.

-The "starting windows" logo animation stays on screen for abnormal amounts of time

-You have an error Event ID 110 in windows performance diagnostics (in event viewer)

-This error states "Session manager initialization caused a slow down in the startup process."

The Cause:

-You have a storage drive larger than 2TB installed in your system (or more than 2TB total storage)

-You added it recently if you just started noticing this slow boot time issue now

The Solution:

-Install Windows Hotfix KB2505454

-You can either google it and click on the first result, or go directly to the page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2505454

-If that does not work then do the same with KB2510636 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2510636

(I actually installed both at the same time, so I'm not 100% sure that the first one fixes it, although I'm pretty sure that's the one)

The process:

-Click on "Hotfix Download Available"

-Accept the agreement

-Select the one checkbox in part 1

-Insert your email twice and type the captcha

-Go to your email and click on the link, the download will start immediately

-Find the download, double click it and it will unzip itself to a certain location (which you can specify, it doesn't really matter as long as its on your OS drive)

-Find that extracted file called "Windows...blablabla" type Microsoft Update

-Double click and run it, it should install and finish, asking for you to restart

-Restart

-Your boot times should be perfectly back to normal! :D

Hope this helped!

Source

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Enderman - dude, I literally posted about this exact same issue a few days back :D You are a life saver!

Here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/393606-slow-boot-even-on-ssd/

And did you get it fixed? Or are you just about to try this?

can you put in a brief des of the actual bug? i'm assuming winders doesn't like anything 2tb+

I have no idea what the bug is, but according to microsoft...

This issue occurs because the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider is being initialized.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

And did you get it fixed? Or are you just about to try this?

Didn't get it fixed, I will try this once I get home from work ;)

Demetria's guide to Windows 8/8.1/10

Problem: (Fill in the blank with anything)

Solution: Wipe the boot disk and install an OS that isn't Windows 8/8.1/10. Windows 7 and Ubuntu are great alternatives to the horrendous mess that has followed Windows 8. 

Solution: Wipe the boot disk and install an OS that isn't Windows 8/8.1/10. Windows 7 and Ubuntu are great alternatives to the horrendous mess that has followed Windows 8. 

But... but... Ubuntu cant play games... me...neeed! :D

Good luck, let me know if it works.

What HDD did you add?

I was really scared I would have to do a full clean install after just having done one after my PSU/motherboard/CPU failure

Luckily I have mad google skillz and can find a solution to the weirdest windows problems xD

I also knew that nobody on LTT would know of a solution so I didn't even bother asking here, as 1Scotty1 proved

Spoiler

A 4TB WD Red :D

OMG Same here! Exact same drive and capacity lol

Spoiler

Great minds think alike, eh? :D

I did a lot of research and found it to be the absolute best HDD at that price point for reliability, sound, temperature, and performance

Spoiler

Any luck?

Spoiler

Note: this appears to me when I have 2, 2tb drives in my pc, but not one, patch does fix it though, also so did removing one of the 2tb drives.... xD

(Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001-1CH164 2tb drives)

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Note: this appears to me when I have 2, 2tb drives in my pc, but not one, patch does fix it though, also so did removing one of the 2tb drives.... xD

(Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001-1CH164 2tb drives)

That's good to know.

I'll change it to "having more than 2TB of hard drives" rather than having a "larger than 2TB drive" :)

Thanks

Spoiler