2011 Macbook Pro 15'' worth $600

I'll just join the thread and ask something - why the hell MacBook prices are so high?I mean,MacBook Pro 1.1(2006 i believe) still costs about 200-300 euros(or dollars,doesn't matter)?Because of the build?Because of the OS stability?Because of branding?Can someone explain it to me?Similiar things is happening with MacBook White and first MBA

About the concrete deal - i guess it's a good deal if it is in perfect condition.

its kinda like jeeps. they cost more then any other suv. mostly because of name, but there's a reason the name has gotten its name. 

I dont mind the higher upfront cost, because at the end it will still be worth proportionally more. 

that, and the old windows laptop market is so saturated. you can find a million I3/i5/i7 laptops for rather cheap simply because so many where made from all the manufactors. but there was only a few select product lines that ran OSX

Actually to me, it looks to be 9 years old. It reminds me of the core 2 era of laptops. 

They are great laptops certainly better than dell....

IBM "lenovo" Have designed one of the best buisness laptops of all time, and it will probably stay like that too.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Yeah, using something doesn't give you an overall impression. Living with one, and using it as your daily driver, does however.

Build quality, screen quality, hinge quality. Gives me those. I can already tell based on 5 minutes that it wouldn't be worth the extra cost to me.

Yeah, using something doesn't give you an overall impression. Living with one, and using it as your daily driver, does however. 

EDIT: Which is why Linus used his Mac for about a month, to gain an overall impression; rather than using it for one day or a few hours.

Sounds good, i stuck a 840 EVO in mine and the thing was heaven. Don't go near Yosemite though, stick with Mavericks IMO. 

I think he said he has a disk for Mavericks

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Why?  Linux does the same thing for free.  Buy better windows laptop for 300 used, and dual boot into Linux.  Now, you got Unix based OS for creativity with the option of modern support.

Amen.

Google-IO-2011-Mac.jpg

Google-Engineers-love-Mac.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

20110511_macbook_pro_users_at_google_io_

I have nothing to add.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Non tech savy? Can i ask why you say that? Like, seriously, everyone seems to say that Apple products are for non tech savy people, i'd love to know why. 

cause a lot of people can't justify paying extra for only support and services (any maybe looks). an iMac costs about 4 months worth of average salary in my country. when my laptop broke all I needed is $10 of replacement hardware and my soldering iron, and it's still working fine after almost 4 years. so I don't see the value of apple support being as much as they charge extra for a macbook over an equivalently powerful laptop from a decent manufacturer.

I'll just join the thread and ask something - why the hell MacBook prices are so high?I mean,MacBook Pro 1.1(2006 i believe) still costs about 200-300 euros(or dollars,doesn't matter)?Because of the build?Because of the OS stability?Because of branding?Can someone explain it to me?Similiar things is happening with MacBook White and first MBA

About the concrete deal - i guess it's a good deal if it is in perfect condition.

MacBooks are solid built quality, and i mean those things last years and years; all the laptops i've had (Dell, HP, Asus) i've had hinges breaks, keyboards die and they probably lasted around 2-3 years. So, that comes at a cost, and a cost people are willing to pay for. 

Also, the OS is factored in. Mac OS X is a great OS, granted, it takes some getting used to and thus those that use it the first time are like 'this thing sucks' 'it's pathetic'... I was like that the first time i used it; then you get used to it, and it's actually a brilliant operating system. 

Branding? Yeah, i guess. Apple know that people are willing to pay over the odds for their products, because those people know the quality of their products, their support and attention to detail and customer satisfaction. Plus, there are people that buy them just as a fashion statement and even Apple fanboys can't deny that. 

Basically, Apple can price them so high just because of their image; people know what they're getting, and they're willing to pay for it. 

They are solid computers, good products and Apple is one of the most net worth companies in the world.

I agree,they are solid computers.But for student,who wants to start exploring OSX(like me) and wants to find affordable option for little longer than a year,300-400 dollars is just too much.Either i have option to buy MBP 1.1 for 300 euros or save money and buy newer MacBook for twice as much price.There comes a question,if it is even worth it.

P.S. I am computer system student I don't represent myself as a expert.Just moving conversation.

Why?  Linux does the same thing for free.  Buy better windows laptop for 300 used, and dual boot into Linux.  Now, you got Unix based OS for creativity with the option of modern support.

Loonix isn't Unix. It's Unix based, as you mentioned.

You also don't have a single distro that's reliable enough to be used in everyday tasks.

It's ridden with driver issues/incompatibilities. 

You have some distros great for servers, that's it. And even then, OpenBSD is arguably superior.

And I wouldn't call desktop ricing an actual use for Linux distros.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Amen.

You've missed the point COMPLETELY. We haven't even mentioned Mac OS yet; the main argument has been about quality... You've just said, buy a Windows laptop, stick Linux on there for creativity and... What do you even mean by 'modern support'? 

I agree,they are solid computers.But for student,who wants to start exploring OSX(like me) and wants to find affordable option for little longer than a year,300-400 dollars is just too much.Either i have option to buy MBP 1.1 for 300 euros or save money and buy newer MacBook for twice as much price.There comes a question,if it is even worth it.

P.S. I am computer system student I don't represent myself as a expert.Just moving conversation.

How far are you in your degree?

Do any CCNA or CCNP stuff yet, if not have fun lol :P

I think he said he has a disk for Mavericks

Use it. I upgraded to Yosemite and it's just... to in-line with IOS. I prefer Mavericks anyway; just see if your Fiancee likes Mavericks, if not upgrade it to Yosemite but i'd make sure you have the CD if you ever need to downgrade it. 

How far are you in your degree?

Do any CCNA or CCNP stuff yet, if not have fun lol :P

I'm in 3rd course in Technical college.I have a vocational school programm after 9th grade.Basically minor programming,all about PC's components and other stuff. :)

I will look into that :P

Use it. I upgraded to Yosemite and it's just... to in-line with IOS. I prefer Mavericks anyway; just see if your Fiancee likes Mavericks, if not upgrade it to Yosemite but i'd make sure you have the CD if you ever need to downgrade it. 

Also, one thing to consider -- I believe Mavericks is much ligher than Yosemite. I installed Yosemite on to my eight year old mac as a beta tester and then left it at home when I went back to school. When I came back it was very slow (2.2ghz C2D w/ 4gb Ram) -- even the SSD was being held back (things opened quickly off the SSD, but then I got a loading beach ball for a while). Regardless I formatted and installed Snow Leopard on it, and it's now super fast again -- so I'm not exactly sure where the OS takes a performance toll, but I don't recall having the issue before Yosemite (now I just use it on rare ocassions to leave connected to my TV, so I haven't been bothered to update to Lion/ML/Mavericks in order to figure out where the slow down actually is). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

She loves Mavericks, she used it in College before she graduated.

Exactly. People that have never owned a Mac, or a MacBook, don't seem to recognise that people like to spend an extra $300-500 on something which just feels of quality. Even the hinge, trackpad, keyboard, AC adpater, everything about them and for something which will last years. 

Non tech savy? Can i ask why you say that? Like, seriously, everyone seems to say that Apple products are for non tech savy people, i'd love to know why. 

Exactly. My dad uses a late 2007 iMac with a Core 2 Duo E6600, 3GB Ram, and a 320GB HDD. Still works fine. I've been through two laptops with shitty build quality, and it hasn't lasted that long.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

I'm in 3rd course in Technical college.I have a vocational school programm after 9th grade.Basically minor programming,all about PC's components and other stuff. :)

I will look into that :P

Definately. you don't know how many people I helped graduate because they didn't know cisco...start learning it now, it's eaither really hard for people or easy but 90% of the time it's hard...

Ah, the fun stuff.  Just hope your teacher/s don't make you just make calculators.  That's what made VB and Java classes boring for me.  I like the one where we did animations and games in Alice 3D.

Well,one of the tasks was to make figures in Pascal and QBasic.It was quite fun,but i know for sure that programming is not my cup of tea.

Unix and Unix based OSes have shit support from modern APIs and other forms of SW.  WINE can get you barely enough support for said SW.  If you want said support you need to have Windows as an option otherwise you have a higher chance of getting and outdated version by up to 3 versions at the least.  It's not just games, but other SW too.  I know I've used both Linux and Mac's various OSes.  They[macs] just aren't worth the price.  If they were a lot cheaper I'd say go for it, but you can get the same if not better build quality from companies like Lenovo/IBM and HP.  For example...cyber demon cost me less than 400.  2011 i5, great screen, great GPU, great RAM, metal case, good venting, and so on.  I could have gotten a 1080p and still stayed under 400.  The hinges and everything are also amazing.  With Apple you're just paying more for brand name.  Not the quality.  Even new this laptop costs hundreds less with the same quality 1080p screen.  People who say Apple are worth it because of the quality or clueless of mobile workstations from people like HP and Lenovo/IBM with the same quality if not better for less.  So, ya know Apple is not worth it when you can get the same thing, if not better, for less in both SW and HW.  I will never buy a product for the sake of a brand name, and that's why I dislike Apple.  I also find it funny that one of their cheaper products failed back in 95.  Pippin anyone?

Partially agree with that, some parts however are i do not in the slightest.

I say MacBooks and Macs (note, i never said Apple) are worth it for the quality; does that make me clueless of mobile workstations from HP and Lenovo and other manufacturers? I'm fully aware of other options, and other options that are of great build quality. However, i stand by my point that MacBooks and Macs are still one of the best options in terms of quality and reliability. 

There are 100% people out there that buy Apple for the brand name, and probably couldn't give any reasons other than 'it's Apple' to buy their products over another, cheaper manufacturer. As a result, Apple do raise their prices because they know that those people will pay it... And those that buy their products for legitimate reasons, will still pay it. 

Also, you can't get the same thing.. Not really. A Mac is a Mac, a MacBook is a MacBook, if you like either of them there will be no competitor. And i'm sure anyone that uses a Mac or a Macbook would understand. 

Anyway, you dislike Apple because you think the only reason to buy from them is the brand name, so no ones going to change your mind are they?

Let me just say it this way.  In VB and Java all we really did was make calculators, so to piss him off I half assed the scripts, though still worked, and he got all pissy yet I still passed cuz I did what he said just not how he wanted.

Sounds like a lot of ''fun''.Basically,we have same module - we do what teacher wants us to do and thats it,no other way around.

About macs - I mentioned OSX introduction and other bs because i was searching for reasonably priced MacBook for months and nothing appeared.All there was,was a PowerBooks for 150 euros or 2012 MacBook Pro's for 600 euros,and few MB Whites which was sold in next day.I even searched for MacBook Black or 2006 White ones,nothing.Maybe I am too picky,but my range was till 250 euros.Maybe I just need to find used i3/i5/i7 Windows laptop and install Ubuntu and use it.I really hope that i will find decent MacBook in my price range and I will understand,what it is to be a Mac user.

Please don't fill the comments with stuff saying how she can get a better pc cheaper..or anything like that.. I've been a working in IT for years now and I know this....

I'm just not much of a mac guy lol

Thanks

Guess PC fanboys have a hard time with basic literacy. Lol. 

Going back to the OP's question. I think it's a fair price - but Mac used market prices all depends on where you live. In NYC or Bay Area (California) - prices are very marked down because of the large number of used Mac's that always comes to market. Anything with even the slightest not like new condition get's further discounted. There are 2 issues with 2011 - none are inherent with the model but mainly the age - battery for starters, you'll have to replace soon regardless of cycles on it and component failure. It's a crap shoot with component failure, just never now when it might happen and with which component but that's not a Mac/PC thing. I would offer $550 and see if they take that. Nothing above $600 for sure - at least where I live (NYC). 

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

eBay.  That's your best option unless craiglist is an option.   :D  Amazon and a lot of other places will make you drain your funds beyond repair for the same price of what you are looking for.

eBay is my last chance.I am watching in UK,there is some of MacBooks i can give a shot.But overall same situation as local adsites - MBP 1.1 for 200 pounds.ebay.com is not an option - pretty big import charges and I bet someone who works in post will steal my macbook(happened with my Metro:Last Light X360 copy). :D

I want a full Neo-Geo AES, but the import rates from Japan just aren't worth it.

They are,especially from USA.I don't know how about Japan.

For author - let us know,how the deal went and how this Mac is working!