Intel Giving Apple High End Processors for Macbook Pro

Giddyguy

apple wont be getting any K-series proccessors so i dont see the big deal:P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Exactly! I'm actually kind of happy about this in a selfish way because I may be getting a MBP come September/October depending on other things. On the other hand though, it sucks for people like IBM and HP.  

someone's living in the past. IBM stopped making laptops in 2004. lol.

But yeah it does suck for other PC manufactures, but I bet Apple is probably paying some premium for these devices. You gotta pay to play my friend.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Business is business.  

If anyone you should be angry with Intel not Apple.  Intel consented to this, Apple only requested.

I dont see this as a big deal, If you need to edit video or do high end tasks, not MS office products then you are probably already working on a desktop, simply put a laptop is a very poor excuse of an high end system, even if you dropped $3000 + on a laptop it would get the snot kicked out of it by the entry level CPUs on the desktop. Mobile will never replace the tower, as it costs money to shrink and it costs money to make smaller and lighter where as a component can be as heavy as a boat anchor in a desktop and offer the best of the best performance as they have no size constraints.

It's perfectly normal that rich customers get better binned parts...however, I think that rich pc manufacturers will get top end chips for their high end devices...Whoever pays the most gets the best...simple as that

So with the looming announcment of the Macbook Pro Haswell refresh, I found these articles stating that Intel will be providing "special top bin cream-of-the-crop GT3e selection" processors. It also says that with these special ones going to apple, it "leaves the slightly less desirable remains for Intel's other customers".

Original Article (you need a subscription however)

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/07/25/apple-gets-a-special-haswell-for-the-macbook-pro/

Macrumors Article (summarizes main article)

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/26/intel-to-supply-apple-with-special-high-end-haswell-processors-for-macbook-pro/

What do you guys think? Although I don't think its not fair because Apple will have to pay premium for top chips but if it affects the quality of processors that other laptops receive, it would be bad.

P.S. I hope there isn't already a topic on this! If there is Sorry for reposting!

I doubt that they would cost more, if anything the new gen would actually cost the same or slightly less than the older generation. 

Primary: 2017 Macbook Pro 15 2.9GHz with Aorus GTX 1070 eGPU / 512GB nvme ssd/ Samsung 840 pro 256gb/ Samsung 860 pro 512gb/ Samsung 27" CHG70 144Hz/ K95 / Razer Deathadder chroma

Secondary [AMD FX 8350 4.8Ghz/Gigabyte 990fxa-u3 v.4/ Asus R9 280x dcuii OC/Amd radeon 1866Mhz  32GB ram/ Samsung 840 pro 256GB x2/Naga Death Adder 2013/ corsair k95/ Dell 2312HM x 2/ Corsair 750D/ Corsair RM850/ Winows 7 Ultimate 64bit Backup : [AMD Phenom II 965 BE/MSI 790gx-65/XFX Radeon HD 4870/6GB Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz/Intel 520 480GB/OCZ Vertex 4 256GB/WD Black 500GB/Corsair Plat 860W/CM Advanced II Black & White/ /MX 518/Vengence k95/ Samsung 2333HD/vista64]Server- Intel i3 3220T / Asus H61M-A/16GB Kingston HyperX 1600/Intel 330 60GB/2TB x 3 WD Black/Sony Bravia 40" LED/Harman Kardon AVR 260 & HKTS 20 speakers/Ubuntu 13.04/ Fractal Node 605]