What Graphics card should I get for my Mac?

potatoproduction

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 with a really bad ati graphics card so I'm trying to save(still don't have any funds) to replace it. I need a nvidia card (OS X lion and above lets you replace your graphics card with any nvidia card) with a 200-290 dollar price range and have 4gb of GDDR ram . I'm trying to get the best performance out of this card . I will use it for light rendering and gaming (games like borderlands the pre-sequel and the talos principle)

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Erm, I think it might be best to just get a real pc instead :/

Do you know the wattage of the PSU and the connectors it has free?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I think they made a Mac version of the 680, if you can find one.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

I used a 660 to upgrade my stepdad's mac pro. I'd get a 960 4gb or  970, depending on what you can afford. Keep in mind, that you'll loose the boot screen when going with a non mac graphics card. You'll also need an additional power cable (like this http://www.amazon.com/PCI-e-Power-Cable-nVidia-Video/dp/B002UR1654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435106731&sr=8-1&keywords=mac+pro+pcie).I'd get a card without a backplate since I've heard that there might be some clearance issues. When it comes to the installation, this video should have you covered.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Something equally priced should do, like a Firepro or Quadro.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

They freed a lot of it up in OS X Lion

You'll need at least Yosemite for the Maxwell cards to work. Keep the original card somewhere in case you need to get into recovery mode some day

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

If I could get AMD what would u recommend

I dont know that you can but if you can, I'd probably go with a used 290x, I've seen one recently on kijiji for 200$ otherwise go for Nvidia.