Network setup with NAS

MammothJerk

This is currently how i have my network setup.

VGKcah2.png

paint skillz

Now the dilemma i have is that my NAS communicates with my main pc through the shitty 100mbit router that i have even though i have it connected via a gigabit cable directly to the pc itself.

What ive tried is to bridge the connection in the network center and that worked for maybe 5 seconds and then it stopped working forever.

i then tried to assign an ip to the ethernet port and that seemed to work for a few minutes but then i couldnt connect to it anymore.

and even when i was able to connect to it, the speed was incredibly slow even with a gigabit cable.

The NAS im using is the Netgear ReadyNAS 104 with 2 3tb WD red drives in raid 0, im using the built in gigabit connections on the g1 sniper 5, i have both regular cat6 and cross-over cat6 if that makes any difference.

should this maybe go in troubleshooting or storage? if so can a moderator please move it

Looks like your gonna need to try 10gb fiber. 3com makes some good switches in that area.

I have to Agree

"There's no test like production!"

Looks like your gonna need to try 10gb fiber. 3com makes some good switches in that area.

Im not talking about getting a switch, im talking about how to directly connect my computer to my NAS via a gigabit cable

idk why you want to bridge your connections... it ll only make your router try to assing 2 ip to the nas.

(it is already connected to the router)

btw if you do get a gigabit router everything will be easier to setup... and you ll gain some features...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

and gigabit switches can be had for like 15$... it s not like your cable probably costed more than that...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

it is alot simpler to just spring for a better router, just make sure you get one with gigabit ports and you should be fine

If you're not going to be helpful, please don't bother responding.

Hi,

Have you tired giving the giving the second network card on the NAS an IP (an ip range which is not on your LAN, Like now your pc might have an ip of 192.168.0.10) of 192.168.1.5 and then you second network card on your main PC to 192.168.1.6, To accessing the NAS from the IP 192.168.1.5

Sheldon

You have dual NICs in your PC?

Static your secondary NIC (the on to NAS) in a different range.

Ill assume your router address is 192.168.0.X addressing, so assign the gbit to the NAS 192.168.1.X addressing. I'd suggest this NIC to be 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1 then set the address on your NAS NIC 192.168.1.3 (example), subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.1. Now I'm assuming you want to fetch data from the media PC. Is your main PC on all the time. I would create a single "data" share on the NAS and map that on the main PC as a drive, share that and you can access it from your media PC. I dont know the ReadyNAS myself but you might find that the 2nd NIC can't be independently addressable, it might only be able to be used as a trunked/redundant link... Makes sense in my head...

As the people above say you have two options, either get a gigabit router, they cost almost nothing, and everything with a gigabit port can communicate at that speed.

Or get a gigabit switch between your pc and nas. 

-Floris  

i5 2500K | nvdia gtx480 | corsair 8gb ddr3-1600 | asus P8Z68-v/gen3 | Antec kuhler 620 | corsair TX650M | corsair 600d | WD10EARS hdd | lg ips 235 | 

There is no point buying a switch just to go between your pc and nas, assign static ips and use a direct cable between your pc and nas (assumes you have dual nics on pc and nas) use a different ip scheme to your existing network. Or you could buy the gigabit switch, then patch your router into this switch, then everything into this switch, this would give you gigabit between all the clients (assuming all clients have gigabit nics, if not the slower clients will be at 100mb/s). This would work fine unless your internet is faster than 100mb/s. Or run a cable from the router into a switch, then plug your pc and the nas into this switch.

You do not need to use crossover cables on nics which support auto mdix, pretty much any modern nic has this. You can use a regular patch cable as a crossover cable if this is the case, also only one of the nics needs this feature.