Upgrading my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Headphones

Go to solution Solved by KaminKevCrew,

First of all, thank you all very much for your time and help! I much appreciate it.

While I'm looking for a "next step" upgrade, based on most of your replies, the DT 990 seems to be the best choice.

Now I must decide which version of theses headphones and if or not I must buy an AMP and/or DAC.

I'm thinking about the DT 990 PRO 250 ohm, because is the cheapest version, however I'm not sure if I will be able to drive it with my Asus Xonar DX. What do you think?

Here are the versions based on what I've read:

1) DT 990 PRO (250 ohm) - EUR 150,00

Pros: less expensive of all 3 versions.

Cons: Coiled cable. Maybe it needs an amp (250 ohm). It has a lesser built quality compared to the EDITIONS versions (plastic frame x steel frame and has a tighter fit which makes it less comfortable)

2) DT 990 EDITON (250 ohm) - EUR 210,00

Pros: Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

Cons: 60 euros more expensive. Maybe it needs an amp, which makes it even more expensive.

3) DT 990 EDITION (32 ohm) - EUR 240,00

Pros: Doesn't need an amp! Premium built (Steel frame and more comfortable fit). Straight cable. Carry case.

Cons: 90 euros more expensive.

First off, you will not need an amp. They will sound just fine. If you don't mind the higher clamp and plastic frame, get the pro. If you want the steel frame, and higher build quality (important if your'e not going to take very careful care of them) then get the premium 250 ohm. At this point, there really isn't a reason to get the 32 ohm 990.

What?

An AMP only affects how loud it gets..it won't change the sound signature, also I'm pretty sure someones tested plugging a HD800 into a Nokia Phone I need to find that.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

What?

SSL holds the same opinion as myself, only he is far more vocal and, shall we say, direct(?) about it....

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

An AMP only affects how loud it gets..it won't change the sound signature, also I'm pretty sure someones tested plugging a HD800 into a Nokia Phone I need to find that.

The Impedance Ballad

I saw a picture recently that had a pair of LCD3s in a nokia brick phone. Apparently, they sounded just as good as normal (if a bit quieter, because, you know...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yeah that's the one.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Then plug a set of Sennheiser HD800 to a phone and to a desktop amp and tell me there is no difference.

For a start, why is the HD800 constantly held up as the paragon of a demanding headphone? This if nothing else shows that you are not fully in possession of facts here.

The purpose of amplification is to make the audio signal louder. Unless you're dealing with a current-hungry and inefficient planar, the only difference you'll hear between a phone and a dedicated headphone amp is maximum volume. And chances are the phone will have enough juice to get the job done.

But, those aren't even the cans we are talking about? And I bet there wouldn't be a real one!

You said there was no difference between plugging a more demanding set to a device without a dedicated amp, so that's what I replied to by giving a simple example.

I saw a picture recently that had a pair of LCD3s in a nokia brick phone. Apparently, they sounded just as good as normal (if a bit quieter, because, you know...)

Quieter? Yes. Sounding just as good? Not quite. And that's another good example, even though I was thinking of the LCD-2.

On the impedance note, it's definitely not a metric to go by when judging how easy to drive a given set is, which can be seen with headphones with quite low impedance benefiting from additional amping.

For a start, why is the HD800 constantly held up as the paragon of a demanding headphone? This if nothing else shows that you are not fully in possession of facts here.

The purpose of amplification is to make the audio signal louder. Unless you're dealing with a current-hungry and inefficient planar, the only difference you'll hear between a phone and a dedicated headphone amp is maximum volume. And chances are the phone will have enough juice to get the job done.

The HD800 is merely an example.

So, you're of the opinion that dynamic sets require no dedicated amping?

The HD800 is merely an example.

Of what, exactly? The HD800 is easier to drive than a lot of the commonly owned cans.

So, you're of the opinion that dynamic sets require no dedicated amping?

Any headphone requires only as much amping as needed to get it to a comfortable listening volume without distortion. Additional headroom is a

bonus. Since virtually all headphone amps are voltage sources, the only issue that you have to worry about with a high impedance headphone is insufficient volume; you won't run into clipping like could happen with a low-impedance, low-sensitivity planar.

Of what, exactly? The HD800 is easier to drive than a lot of the commonly owned cans.

Any headphone requires only as much amping as needed to get it to a comfortable listening volume without distortion. Additional headroom is a

bonus. Since virtually all headphone amps are voltage sources, the only issue that you have to worry about with a high impedance headphone is insufficient volume; you won't run into clipping like could happen with a low-impedance, low-sensitivity planar.

Hmm, The K701 is not the easiest, and even the HD650 isn't either.

You're getting where I'm thinking, namely having enough amping to avoid distortion.

Out of curiosity but what amp would you recommend for the HE-6?

Hmm, The K701 is not the easiest, and even the HD650 isn't either.

You're getting where I'm thinking, namely having enough amping to avoid distortion.

Quite.

But that's what I'm saying, a voltage-limited load such as a high-impedance headphone will not cause an amp to distort.

Quite.

But that's what I'm saying, a voltage-limited load such as a high-impedance headphone will not cause an amp to distort.

True, being voltage limited would just lower volume ceiling.

Any suggestions on a HE-6 amp?

EDIT: What's your current gear?

True, being voltage limited would just lower volume ceiling.

Any suggestions on a HE-6 amp?

Something powerful.

Something powerful.

While I was somewhat expecting it, I feared you'd confirm that.

While I was somewhat expecting it, I feared you'd confirm that.

A Schiit magni would have more than enough juice.

A Schiit magni would have more than enough juice.

You think a magni would suffice when compared to, say, a Lyr? I've yet to try their products but I hear good things and I'm especially curious about the Asgard (I prefer solid state).

Thanks again for all the answers, guys.

My Asus Xonar DX can drive my Sennheiser HD 380 PRO with no problems. By the way, I won't turn up the volume more than 40%, since it gets really loud (ears almost blown up and an immediate headache for sure).

Refocusing on the main discussion: Long story short, since the impedance is not the determining factor of how easy or hard it is to drive a headphone to the desired loudness, I can get a DT 990 250 ohms and run it with my Asus Xonar DX, is that right?

You think a magni would suffice when compared to, say, a Lyr? I've yet to try their products but I hear good things and I'm especially curious about the Asgard (I prefer solid state).

The Magni 2 is more powerful than the current version of the Asgard.

I can get a DT 990 250 ohms and run it with my Asus Xonar DX, is that right?

That's the idea.

Thanks again for all the answers, guys.

My Asus Xonar DX can drive my Sennheiser HD 380 PRO with no problems. By the way, I won't turn up the volume more than 40%, since it gets really loud (ears almost blown up and an immediate headache for sure).

Refocusing on the main discussion: Long story short, since the impedance is not the determining factor of how easy or hard it is to drive a headphone to the desired loudness, I can get a DT 990 250 ohms and run it with my Asus Xonar DX, is that right?

It seems most people tend to have the opinion that it will suffice, whereas I personally think you'd do good in getting a (budget) headphone amp like the PA2V2 or Fiio E11 (both inexpensive). In the end, it's entirely up to you.

The Magni 2 is more powerful than the current version of the Asgard.

Impressive, especially considering price differences.

It seems most people tend to have the opinion that it will suffice, whereas I personally think you'd do good in getting a (budget) headphone amp like the PA2V2 or Fiio E11 (both inexpensive). In the end, it's entirely up to you.

Those are both mobile amps, so even if an amp was needed in this situation I wouldn't recommend them. The SMSL SD793-II has dedicated mains power and optical in, which makes it better overall and better value for the money.

Impressive, especially considering price differences.

The Magni/Modi and Fulla are really the only interesting products by Schiit. The rest of their lineup is either outright nonsense or else suffers from prestige pricing.

Those are both mobile amps, so even if an amp was needed in this situation I wouldn't recommend them. The SMSL SD793-II has dedicated mains power and optical in, which makes it better overall and better value for the money.

The Magni/Modi and Fulla are really the only interesting products by Schiit. The rest of their lineup is either outright nonsense or else suffers from prestige pricing.

Indeed they are and I was going with inexpensive products that do work and have the added bonus of working on the go, but that SMSL has more raw power and connectivity, although being stationary kit, ending up being a better option for sure.

So you don't think that the Lyr or the Mjolnir (think balanced gear) are worth their price?

In my experience, different amps do change the sound. Most probably because of different circuit design and different components. The problem is, 90% of the case, it's not worth it to go the extra money for that astronomical differences. But then again, 'worth it' is a subjective thing. If I make 1 million dollar a year, then a $10.000 amp is 'totally worth it' for me, if only for the bona-fide factor. 

Also it's always case per case. DT990 might be good on this onboard, but might be too much for that onboard. 

If my current system is noisy, buzzing, hissing, distorting, then I'd seriously consider getting a better amp.

If my current system is running good, but I found/tested a new amp that's prettier, sturdier, got a bit better sound (if only just my opinion), then I'd look at my wallet first, because I don't need the new amp, I just want it. 

Indeed they are and I was going with inexpensive products that do work and have the added bonus of working on the go, but that SMSL has more raw power and connectivity, although being stationary kit, ending up being a better option for sure.

So you don't think that the Lyr or the Mjolnir (think balanced gear) are worth their price?

Balanced is pointless for home audio. As for the Lyr, it puts out far more power than any headphone could need - especially since the trend is for more sensitive headphones as time goes on.

In my experience, different amps do change the sound.

The better the amp, the less it should color the sound. Amps change the signal, no question, but it's not generally for the better if it's audible, tubes notwithstanding.

Balanced is pointless for home audio. As for the Lyr, it puts out far more power than any headphone could need - especially since the trend is for more sensitive headphones as time goes on.

You don't find lower THD to be advantageous for home audio?

When I mention the Lyr, I'm mainly wondering whether it can drive the HE-6 properly.

Also, what's the output impedance of the SMSL-SD793-II?

You don't find lower THD to be advantageous for home audio?

When I mention the Lyr, I'm mainly wondering whether it can drive the HE-6 properly.

Also, what's the output impedance of the SMSL-SD793-II?

That isn't the point of balanced.

The Lyr has more power than any headphone could need, 6W.

I don't know for a fact, but based on the parts probably 10 ohms.