Normal temps with Xigmatek Dark Knight?

Makaseo

Sorry guys, this must be such a commonly asked question, but it's driving me nuts.

I have a 4670k at stock speeds and I just replaced the stock cooler with a Xigmatek yadda yadda Night Hawk edition. I had a bit of finicking going on when pressing the heatsink down on the thermal paste but I could be overthinking it. For clarification, I'm running the cooler in push/pull with two SP120 quiet editions instead of the stock Xigmatek fan.

When testing temps, my room was at 84 F (around 29 C) and HWMonitor tells me it's idling at 40 C. I ran Firestrike's physics test and combined test on loop for about 15 minutes and the max hit 60 C. I was looking at Logan's review of this cooler and he claimed it had beastly temps on their 3770k 3570k* even when overclocked, so I'm unsure if I messed up with the thermal paste somewhere or my CPU just runs hot in general. My temps aren't looking too different from when I had the stock cooler on.

It'd be great if you guys could let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if I've got nothing to worry about. Thanks for any and all replies!

Update: Someone told me to try running the Prime95 torture test and RealTemp for a better CPU load test, and it's reading 71 C max after about 15 minutes, if that makes any difference.

Every Haswell chip is different but those temperatures sound about right. What is the overclock you have?

Every Haswell chip is different but those temperatures sound about right. What is the overclock you have?

These are at stock clocks.

Just saw the update. Yikes. Did you mount it properly? Rice grain of thermal paste? You might just have a bad CPU.

Just saw the update. Yikes. Did you mount it properly? Rice grain of thermal paste? You might just have a bad CPU.

no it's his idle temps.

29C,thats really high.

71C means it's running at a 42C delta,thats perfectly right for the dark knight II.

3 heat pipes,120mm size,normal fin array.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I think I mounted it properly, but the installation wasn't smooth. It slid around a bit on the paste while I tried to stop it from moving when screwing the whole thing down. I'm paranoid that the paste might not be even.

no it's his idle temps.

29C,thats really high.

71C means it's running at a 42C delta,thats perfectly right for the dark knight II.

That makes me much less nervous. Would overclocking be a bad idea with these ambient temps? I originally planned to push it to 4.5 @ 1.3V if the cooler's temps looked okay.

I think I mounted it properly, but the installation wasn't smooth. It slid around a bit on the paste while I tried to stop it from moving when screwing the whole thing down. I'm paranoid that the paste might not be even.

That makes me much less nervous. Would overclocking be a bad idea with these ambient temps? I originally planned to push it to 4.5 @ 1.3V if the cooler's temps looked okay.

try it lol,I'd say if during OCCT it stays below 85C then you should be fine.

you should have a better experience overclocking in the winter or the fall.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

no it's his idle temps.

29C,thats really high.

Derp moment.  (for me)

Thanks for the help guys. I tried the overclock I mentioned + overclocking my RAM to 1800 MHz (from 1600) but the idle temps were about 7 degrees higher and Prime95 immediately reboots my computer. I've heard the Vengeance Pro memory was optimized for overclocking, especially with Haswell, but I'll just play around a bit and see if I can get anything stable and cool. Worst case, I'll just reapply the thermal paste to see if I did mess up somewhere.

Again, thanks for the replies!

try it lol,I'd say if during OCCT it stays below 85C then you should be fine.

you should have a better experience overclocking in the winter or the fall.

I reapplied the thermal paste and tried overclocking to 4.2 GHz following the NCIX guide. My idle is still 40 and my load is still 71, even though it's 3AM and my room is probably around 23, but I've been running Prime95 for half an hour now with no freezes or errors.

Thanks for your advice, you've been a big help.

I reapplied the thermal paste and tried overclocking to 4.2 GHz following the NCIX guide. My idle is still 40 and my load is still 71, even though it's 3AM and my room is probably around 23, but I've been running Prime95 for half an hour now with no freezes or errors.

Thanks for your advice, you've been a big help.

well if you remounted and the temps are the same, despite lower ambient temperatures, it means that you mounted it worse than it was mounted before, lol.

Linus Sebastian said: