"Cool" Project: Using PC Fans For Other Things

I have decided to build my own computer desk (as per one of my previous posts about custom desks). I still don't know if I want to build the components "into" the desk, as a wall-mount, or just use the typical chassis. I do know, however, that I want to use some of the fans to cool other components stored in/on my desk. This idea would be more for a looks factor than practical purpose. I plan to build my desk to hold in part my stereo equipment (tuner, DVD/BD/CD player, VHS machine [i do video conversion as part of my freelance work], cassette tape player [same type of conversion]), and eventually I will expand my work into music production (ie. EDM Electronic Dance Music, build a recording/sound booth, etc.). With all these electronics, the area around my desk will get really hot (especially our hot Texas summers). I know I could use other type of air cooling, but I was thinking about using PC fans to just move the air around all these components (plus like I said, a cool factor) - maybe it's not cool and I am just a dork, but whatever. I would also use these fans to point directly at me (because I also get so hot <wink> when I work).

I would like to be able to control these various fans with switches (as I know for sure I'm going to build my desk with electrical switches for things like PC power, random desk lighting, to power my stereo equipment, maybe my monitors, etc), so I would imagine I need some type of voltage converter/transformer. I would prefer to buy something already made for this type of usage, but I do not mind piecing it together if I have to buy various parts. I know I can search online forever to find answers, but I wanted to check to see if others have already experimented with this type of setup.

Thoughts on using PC fans for this? Recommended fans? I guess the fans don't have to be made for PC use, but as long as they are the same shape (square) and look similar to PC fans. These are the ideas I have late at night that won't let me sleep.

Really guys?

62 views and not a single comment?

yup.

Silverstone AP fans if you want to direct the air flow.

Aerocool DS fans if you want them to be realy pretty

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."