RAM doesn't work properly

A couple of days ago I bought some new Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB RAM (KHX13C9B1K2/16).

When I put them in, it would load the memory up to 3067 and would POST a memory problem.

I tried putting in my old memory with the new memory but it wouldn't boot at all, but when I tried 2 of my old sticks with 1 of the new RAM it would boot fine. The only problem is that windows only reads it as 3GB, but when I check in HWiNFO it says that all 12GB is loaded.

pJXYKCH.png

Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Intel Core i3-550 @ 3.20GHz

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB

(Old Ram) 2 x Samsung 2GB - M378B5673FH0-CH9

DX4840 Motherboard (Store-bought)

Corsair TX850

WD Caviar Green 1TB

EDIT: Put in 2 of my old RAM sticks that worked fine (4GB) with my new sticks (16GB). Why is the memory lower than 4GB?

wDUOPXi.png?1

According to this thread it has a lot to do with using or lack of using X.M.P profiles' date=' and what not. [url']http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1275928&mpage=1&print=true

I don't think I can actually change that on an OEM Bios, perhaps it's time for a new mobo.

However, my mobo is 2-3 years old, could it be a possibility that the DIMM slots only allow up to 4GB per DIMM?

According to this thread it has a lot to do with using or lack of using X.M.P profiles' date=' and what not. [url']http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1275928&mpage=1&print=true
I don't think I can actually change that on an OEM Bios, perhaps it's time for a new mobo. However, my mobo is 2-3 years old, could it be a possibility that the DIMM slots only allow up to 4GB per DIMM?

Quite possibly - I can't find anything on that board other than that it's from a pre-built system.

I assume your new RAM is 2x8? If you want to confirm this theory, just put a single 8gb stick in and if it says 8 with 4 usable or whatever then that's probably what the board is limited to. Then add the second stick and it should double your first result.

According to this thread it has a lot to do with using or lack of using X.M.P profiles' date=' and what not. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m...e=1&print=true
I don't think I can actually change that on an OEM Bios, perhaps it's time for a new mobo. However, my mobo is 2-3 years old, could it be a possibility that the DIMM slots only allow up to 4GB per DIMM?
Quite possibly - I can't find anything on that board other than that it's from a pre-built system. 8 I assume your new RAM is 2x8? If you want to confirm this theory, just put a single 8gb stick in and if it says 8 with 4 usable or whatever then that's probably what the board is limited to. Then add the second stick and it should double your first result.

Whenever I tried to load one of the sticks it would just show up as 1GB in the BIOS and it wouldn't let me boot.

According to this thread it has a lot to do with using or lack of using X.M.P profiles' date=' and what not. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m...e=1&print=true
Quite possibly - I can't find anything on that board other than that it's from a pre-built system. 8 I assume your new RAM is 2x8? If you want to confirm this theory, just put a single 8gb stick in and if it says 8 with 4 usable or whatever then that's probably what the board is limited to. Then add the second stick and it should double your first result.

Whenever I tried to load one of the sticks it would just show up as 1GB in the BIOS and it wouldn't let me boot.

I would normally say dodgy RAM sticks then but based on the board - I vote new board :)

Surely there's a way around buying a new motherboard. This new RAM has the same voltage, speed, and cas latency as my old RAM.

Surely there's a way around buying a new motherboard. This new RAM has the same voltage' date=' speed, and cas latency as my old RAM.

Unless you can start changing stuff up in the BIOS then probably not unfortunately :(

Surely there's a way around buying a new motherboard. This new RAM has the same voltage' date=' speed, and cas latency as my old RAM.
Unless you can start changing stuff up in the BIOS then probably not unfortunately :(

The only option I found that had anything to do with RAM was Memory Remapping, I tried enabling it but it didn't make a difference. There has to be a reason as to why it's limiting the RAM down to 3GB even when I have 4GB of RAM that works perfectly fine.

Quite possibly - I can't find anything on that board other than that it's from a pre-built system. 8 I assume your new RAM is 2x8? If you want to confirm this theory, just put a single 8gb stick in and if it says 8 with 4 usable or whatever then that's probably what the board is limited to. Then add the second stick and it should double your first result. Whenever I tried to load one of the sticks it would just show up as 1GB in the BIOS and it wouldn't let me boot.

Curious when you did get into BIO's was there an option to select XMP Profiles? Also, are you expecting a total of 20GB of RAM to be used with your new RAM. 16GB + 4GB ? I see that you have Windows 7 Home Premium which has a Max of 16GB Ram on a x64 system. I do find it odd that it's limiting at 4GB with all your RAM installed; because, when I checked max RAM for Windows 7 Home Premium for x64 it said 16GB which makes sense while the x86 is limited to 4GB but youre running 64bit.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Curious when you did get into BIO's was there an option to select XMP Profiles? Also, are you expecting a total of 20GB of RAM to be used with your new RAM. 16GB + 4GB ? I see that you have Windows 7 Home Premium which has a Max of 16GB Ram on a x64 system. I do find it odd that it's limiting at 4GB with all your RAM installed; because, when I checked max RAM for Windows 7 Home Premium for x64 it said 16GB which makes sense while the x86 is limited to 4GB but youre running 64bit. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Haven't seen XMP Profiles, probably because my BIOS is pretty locked down. I wasn't expecting 20GB but the system wouldn't boot without my old 4GB of RAM. I tried testing around and it seems that if I try to enable memory remapping, my BIOS loads the full 16GB (without skipping) but when I start up Windows, it just gives me a BSOD. I'm 90% sure it's my motherboard only allowing 8GB ( 4 x 2GB).