Okay, I'm out of the loop. What's the shitstorm about GTX 970s?

Tafel_Kafel

Hi guys, I'm planning to get a Asus GTX 970. But there's been some shit on the internet like "blah blah buy the r9 290 4gb instead blah gtx 970 something something vram"

I don't get it. Will that affect gaming performance anyway? Should I really get a 4GB R9 290? What's wrong with buying a 970?

I could use google but it's kinda confusing.

Basically what happens is that after filling up 3.5GB of vRAM the bandwith tanks for the last .5 GB.

What resolution are you playing at?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Basiclly, Specs about the 970 were wrong since the launch, and the VRAM tanks at the last .5GB.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

What resolution are you playing at?

I'm be playing at 1080p, 144hz probably.

Basically what happens is that after filling up 3.5GB of vRAM the bandwith tanks for the last .5 GB.

Basiclly, Specs about the 970 were wrong since the launch, and the VRAM tanks at the last .5GB.

Will I really use all the 4GB in gaming anyway?

Then get a 980 or a Radeon equivalent.

Then don't worry. Pretty much the VRAM losses performance when it uses the last half gig. It's only a problem at 4K. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

you will be fine my 780s seldom hit 3GB at 1440

Hi guys, I'm planning to get a Asus GTX 970. But there's been some shit on the internet like "blah blah buy the r9 290 4gb instead blah gtx 970 something something vram"

I don't get it. Will that affect gaming performance anyway? Should I really get a 4GB R9 290? What's wrong with buying a 970?

I could use google but it's kinda confusing.

low bandwidth for 5.gb of memory. Most people will never even reach that much vram usage anyway. So the big fuss is just a bunch of morons.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Then get a 980 or a Radeon equivalent.

RIP budget. BTW, Nvidia has better drivers and cool features, so I'm going with a 970 I guess, I won't lose much.

RIP budget. BTW, Nvidia has better drivers and cool features, so I'm going with a 970 I guess, I won't lose much.

The driver and features debate is something that's now as a preference since both have equal problems today.

Lol tons of threads out there on the 970 shitstorm...

...starts his own thread to ask what's going on with the 970 shitstorm.

eyup, sounds like it.

low bandwidth for 5.gb of memory. Most people will never even reach that much vram usage anyway. So the big fuss is just a bunch of morons.

Well to clarify on this a bit.... Anyone who's complaining about the cards performance is a moron. Anyone who's complaining about Nvidia isn't. 

Lol tons of threads out there on the 970 shitstorm...

...starts his own thread to ask what's going on with the 970 shitstorm.

Who the hell wants to read through a 60 page thread of shit. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

An issue with Ram effecting people at 4K... Blah Blah Blah, people butt hurt, acting like there card is instantly whorbad.

It REALLLLLYYY Doesn't matter...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

There are two big complaints about the gtx 970:

1)---NVIDIA straight up lied.

Nvidia lied about the specs of the gtx 970. They said it had more ROPs than it actually has. They also "omitted" to say that 0.5 out of those 4gb were partitioned separately and you'd get stuttering when accessing them. That doesn't change benchmark results, but at high resolutions you may get noticeable stuttering even if it's not reflected in the framerate. Definitely not a huge issue, but people don't like to support lies with their money.

2)---The price.

Currently you can get an R9 290x for 100$ less than a 970. Theoretically thanks to the new architecture and cheap memory interface nvidia should be able to pay less for their gpus and therefore sell them at a very competitive price. However AMD sells their stuff for 100$ lower, which means that either AMD is selling at a loss, or nvidia is claiming exaggerate margins. It also means that the price/performance value of the 970 sank into the ground a few months after release. It was the obvious choice when it was priced like an R9 290, now the gap is too high for the higher efficiency to justify.

Will these two things affect your experience? Probably not. But you could get significantly better value out of amd for much less, if you care to spare some money to buy some other nice upgrade.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There are two big complaints about the gtx 970:

1)---NVIDIA straight up lied.

Nvidia lied about the specs of the gtx 970. They said it had more ROPs than it actually has. They also "omitted" to say that 0.5 out of those 4gb were partitioned separately and you'd get stuttering when accessing them. That doesn't change benchmark results, but at high resolutions you may get noticeable stuttering even if it's not reflected in the framerate. Definitely not a huge issue, but people don't like to support lies with their money.

2)---The price.

Currently you can get an R9 290x for 100$ less than a 970. Theoretically thanks to the new architecture and cheap memory interface nvidia should be able to pay less for their gpus and therefore sell them at a very competitive price. However AMD sells their stuff for 100$ lower, which means that either AMD is selling at a loss, or nvidia is claiming exaggerate margins. It also means that the price/performance value of the 970 sank into the ground a few months after release. It was the obvious choice when it was priced like an R9 290, now the gap is too high for the higher efficiency to justify.

1) Just like I would expect the 4gb of VRAM to be fully functional, I would also expect the Reference R9 290 to be able to run at 100% -- which we both know it can't. So, expectations are not always a reality. And I'm not conviced Nvidia lied about the ROPs, I do believe there was just miscommunication between the engineers and public relations team. 

2) Efficiency is a big reason to consider 970s and has nothing to do with whats going on, and is something that's always been the case with Nvidia vs. AMD. So price is something else entirely different. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Then don't worry. Pretty much the VRAM losses performance when it uses the last half gig. It's only a problem at 4K. 

For now but in the future games will need to access all 4GB of Vram @ 1080P.

It'll be fine. That's far off and by then you should upgrade your card anyways.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

By the time thats the case the 970/290 will be crap anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It'll be fine. That's far off and by then you should upgrade your card anyways.

Or so one would hope. I rather not run the risk of being forced into an early and expensive upgrade.

By the time thats the case the 970/290 will be crap anyway. 

It could happen on any upcoming game like GTA V or TW3.

Or so one would hope. I rather not run the risk of being forced into an early and expensive upgrade.

nVidia is realizing new drivers soon. Anyone wanting a 970 should wait and see if that resolves the issue, otherwise go with something else.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

It could happen on any upcoming game like GTA V or TW3.

Yeah, and a single R9 380x will also be able to drive Eyefinity surround 8k @ utlra @ 288fps. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler