Can someone explain cpu "lapping" to me?

Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Basically, any form of air or separation that gets between your CPU and your Heatsink means less heat is transferred.

If your CPU or Heatsink doesn't have a flat, smooth surfce, that will make your temps worse (depending on how bad the surface is).

CPU lapping is just sanding the CPU and Heatsink surface to make it more smooth and flat than it was from the factory. This way heat is transferred more quickly and efficiently allowing you to get lower temps.

I wouldn't advise it unless your CPU or Heatsink's surface has an obviously convex or concave surface or chips or wtv that would get in the way of doing it's job (transferring heat). Otherwise, don't do it. Not worth it.

I watched a few videos on it and people are claiming that it gives them better temps. To me, it seems kind of crazy to grind away at your processor.

It's to increase the surface area of the IHS in order to improve heat transfer. As to its efficacy I can't say, but the theory behind it is sound. Bear in mind that the silvery metal thing you see on top of that green PCB isn't the CPU itself, that's the IHS, which is basically a solid piece of metal attached to the CPU die itself by solder or TIM. Grinding away at the IHS presents little hazard to the actual CPU inside so long as it's done properly - that's not to say it's a good idea though.

Basically, any form of air or separation that gets between your CPU and your Heatsink means less heat is transferred.

If your CPU or Heatsink doesn't have a flat, smooth surfce, that will make your temps worse (depending on how bad the surface is).

CPU lapping is just sanding the CPU and Heatsink surface to make it more smooth and flat than it was from the factory. This way heat is transferred more quickly and efficiently allowing you to get lower temps.

I wouldn't advise it unless your CPU or Heatsink's surface has an obviously convex or concave surface or chips or wtv that would get in the way of doing it's job (transferring heat). Otherwise, don't do it. Not worth it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

you don't grind the processor, just flatten the integrated heat spreader, the metal plate that sits on top of the processor. you can also de-lid it if its not soldered on.  but for 1-2C, unless your going for crazy high OC, it's generally not worth worrying about.