1155 pin repair

Tim

Hey guys

Currently got my eye on a motherboard on ebay, that the seller claims has two bent pins in its 1155 socket. I remember the pins being tiny when I put my current rig together, so I'm wondering if it's worth a gamble.

Has anyone got any experience straightening these pins? I've seen a few vids on youtube but most detail the pins being on the cpu, which looks much easier than with them on the socket.

Tim

yes it is possible.

ask him to make a picture and post it here, maybe i can decide if it is easy reparable or not.

it isn't that hard with a needle unless you break the pins off ;)

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

if the pins are "broken" its hard as hell. but if they are bent its easy with a needle.

Best regards Zahlio,
Unity asset developer - Game developer (http://playsurvive.com) - Computer Science student

if its broken slot them into the cpu slot

if they are bent or creased then use fine pliers or a metal object to pry them back straight

Cheers guys

It's an MSI Z77A-GD55 board, the usb 3.0 header is also damaged according to the advert. After shipping he wants £40 for it (about $63). Does that seem about right? He is open to offers so might make a cheeky one and hope he's had no interest in it.

Depending on the work required, that's a pretty awesome price for the board. If it's only a few bent pins and they haven't been completely broken off, the repair should go fairly easily. Other than that, it fully depends on your experience. Keep in mind that the bent pins completely voids the warranty, and so it still might be a good idea to go with a brand new board.

IMHO, its not worth the gamble, lets just say you do fix the pins and the motherboard still does not work? it would be very hard or almost impossible to establish if you did it right or of the mobo has been deadf all along, but if your up to the challenge and satisfaction of being able to Fix something likle that, then why not.

I've done a lot of buying and selling as well mostly for the fun and itch of upgrading or not being satisfied with something after I buy it and my take on deffective items is that its only safe if its a mechanical issue, like a dent on a case, a busted LED because the results of the possible fixes are pretty much predictable.

Goodluck

I agree not worth the gamble

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Yeh i wouldnt gamble it, I have one my self im trying to repair bent and broken pins its a pain in the arse and not worth it.

Especialy when you can get new ones for under $100.

This is a 775 but same kinda dealio

20130125_101133_zps776bccab.jpg

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Yeh i wouldnt gamble it, I have one my self im trying to repair bent and broken pins its a pain in the arse and not worth it.

Especialy when you can get new ones for under $100.

This is a 775 but same kinda dealio

20130125_101133_zps776bccab.jpg

Yikes, that MB needs some 911 care... :{ kinda sad that 10 dead pins can destroy a good mother board.

I'll give it a miss then guys, cheers.