Headphones vs. Ear-buds for Bass heavy music?

christophercolumbusdog

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for new some new audio paraphernalia, but I can't decide on specific headphones or ear-buds.

My question is, Which is better for a music listening experience that involves a lot of bass heavy material (dub-step, Drum n' bass, and similar), headphones or ear-buds? Which one will give better audio quality in general? Better bass?

Additionally, depending on which ones you pick would be best, do you have any recommendations for specific products? My price point is roughly a max of around $150, but with some leeway. Pretty much the order of feature importance is the following: COMFORT; high audio quality with nice, deep, rich, and "feel-able" (if that makes sense) bass; compatibility with both a phone and sound card; portability and color/appearance (good looking, not to bold or ugly color).

Thank you so much!

-- Christophercolumbusdog

I'm not a fan of earbuds.

I'd recommend you look into audio technica m50's, anything from shure and beyerdynamic dt770's.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

. the next headphone I buy will be a basshead one currently I am researching the audio technica WS55 $80 WS77 100+ sony XB which are in the 60' date='90 and 100+ ranges as well as a vmoda m100 which is in the 200+ range. from what I'm reading the xb is like a big wall of bass where the audio technica is less impressive but more detailed offering separation within the bass notes.[/quote']

comfort the old 2010-2011 version of the XB look like monster truck tires but are crazy comfortable. the new xb line as well as the ws55 is on ear less comfortable but more stylish especially the ws55 in red. ws77 is around ear but only comes in black.

vmoda does comfort iphone and looks (with a customizable design your own plate) but it has the biggest price tag.

I hate IEMs but cks77

edit: ws series has a controlled audio technica sound where the sony is a bit muddy with harsher highs from what I gathered

Oh yes right, I forgot to mention, I really prefer headphones that are over-the-ear. Don't like the on-the-ear as much.

Oh, and ones (headphones) with a mic in-line get a +1, though it is certainly not a deal breaker.

I completely forgot about the sony xb series. I haven't looked into the new xb line but I don't think you would be disapointed with xb500 or xb700.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I completely forgot about the sony xb series. I haven't looked into the new xb line but I don't think you would be disapointed with xb500 or xb700.
I've no doubt that would give powerful bass, but would it necessarily have balance? (So the bass doesn't overpower everything else)

Oh, and ones (headphones) with a mic in-line get a +1, though it is certainly not a deal breaker.
ws55i has the standard inline mic/control junk as well

I'd have a look into some of the Sennheiser stuff. Even their lower end HD201's have a really good overall sound with clear punchy bass. You'll get better bass out of over ear headphones than things like IEM's because of things like driver size and ambient air space but I won't go into the technical stuff :P You mentioned you wanted remote control/mic - you can actually get extension cables which offer this feature.

If you can, wander down to your local electronics and music store - JB HiFi if you're in Australia and actually take a listen to some of the different headphones and note their price differences. Just because X sounds better than Y, is it worth the extra $70?

I'd have a look into some of the Sennheiser stuff. Even their lower end HD201's have a really good overall sound with clear punchy bass. You'll get better bass out of over ear headphones than things like IEM's because of things like driver size and ambient air space but I won't go into the technical stuff :P You mentioned you wanted remote control/mic - you can actually get extension cables which offer this feature.

If you can, wander down to your local electronics and music store - JB HiFi if you're in Australia and actually take a listen to some of the different headphones and note their price differences. Just because X sounds better than Y, is it worth the extra $70?

Any Sennheiser would deliver good bass? Like I said, I want the best and richest bass I can get, free from the distortion of other noises, for the price.

Oh, also, in general, what Sennheisers would have good bass? For around $100 to $150

I haven't heard them myself, but here are some reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-xb500-40mm-xb-diaphragm-driver-extra-bass-headphones/reviews

you might be interested in these too

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583344/ultrasone-hfi-580-dj1-review

I'm not a fan of earbuds.

I'd recommend you look into audio technica m50's, anything from shure and beyerdynamic dt770's.

the m50 has bass but not dynamic bass it doesn't go deep

I'd go have a listen to both the 215's and 280's. Sennhesier aren't by any means the best out there but they do have quite a nice sound :)

I really think the cans you are looking for are the vmoda m100, multiple colors steel plates you can get laser etched any design onto in multi colors custom color of earcups I believe and the lines have that phone stuff you want.

I really think the cans you are looking for are the vmoda m100, multiple colors steel plates you can get laser etched any design onto in multi colors custom color of earcups I believe and the lines have that phone stuff you want.
probably just my personal preference, but they look too flashy and hipster

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)