New To Programming. Where the heck do I begin?

xRorkes

Really interested in programming but have no clue where to begin. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend starting with basic C++ in Visual Studio 2012 Express (free): http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9816758

Here is a link with some tutorials: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

When you are on a tutorial, do NOT go to the next one until you completely understand the one you're working on.

For example; on the first tutorial - "structure of a program".

You might know what "cout" does, it prints text to the console, right? But do you know what happens if you remove "using namespace std;" ?

The program won't compile, right? Well, if you add "std::" in front of "cout", it suddenly will again, because "cout" is a member of the "std" namespace. The "using namespace std;", easily put, removes the need to write std:: manually, but this isn't a good practice as you could encounter libraries or your own code having the same names for stuff and will mix with std. So it's always good to use a namespace or/and a prefix for functions and classes. Class functions are okay as they basically use the class as a namespace.

So it's stuff like this that I mean you should understand.

When you are ready to get into graphics, you usually just get into it. If you start searching randomly - you won't get anywhere. Trust me. ;( xD (unless it's easier to find now)

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

(if you need help with something, you can always add me on Skype - gammaray24)

isn't Visual Basic a good way to start? they got tons of videos on microsoft and on youtube and it seems to be a easy language to learn.

isn't Visual Basic a good way to start? they got tons of videos on microsoft and on youtube and it seems to be a easy language to learn.

In my opinion, Visual Basic is the worst language to learn. It would make it really confusing to go to another language at least.

In my opinion' date=' Visual Basic is the worst language to learn. It would make it really confusing to go to another language at least. [/quote']

isn't the c++ and basic language quite the same, just that instead of using sentence you use signs instead - in some cases.

In my opinion' date=' Visual Basic is the worst language to learn. It would make it really confusing to go to another language at least. [/quote'] isn't the c++ and basic language quite the same, just that instead of using sentence you use signs instead - in some cases.

Lol, quite the same? xD

Visual Basic is just filled with redundant keywords. When you get to C++, you'll be like

HUR DURR i cannot dim variblez n y isent mai If n Else wurkin' :rolleyes:

xD

I'd say start in C, C++ or something else - then when he has sufficient enough knowledge about general programming, he can dive into VB if he is interested. Anyone can feel free to argue with me though.

xD I'd say start in C' date=' C++ or something else - then when he has sufficient enough knowledge about general programming, he can dive into VB if he is interested. Anyone can feel free to argue with me though.[/quote']

I don't want to argue with you but if you want to know, I started programming in VB5 and I think it's fine. With VB. NET, you can quickly build a program that will look like a standard Windows application so it may be a bit more satisfying. Working with C++ might make you focus more on the OOP concepts and less about the visual appearance, which may be a good thing too. But really, the language should be the last of your worries, understanding the basic concepts is way more important. I've started with VB5 and now I know C++, VBScript, Lotus Script, Python, C#, Visual Basic, Java, Javascript, PHP...

Heh. I began in Pascal. It gives that edge away from GUI programming -- programmers that solely work with GUI run into so many issues that lead developers need to fix for them.

Then I moved into Visual Basic, java, and web coding languages like html and css.

I started with JavaScript in combination with HTML and CSS

Make sure that when you don't get a problem and you look at the solution and it "hits" you and then you get it you go back a few hours or a day later and see if you can still do the problem.

xD I'd say start in C' date=' C++ or something else - then when he has sufficient enough knowledge about general programming, he can dive into VB if he is interested. Anyone can feel free to argue with me though.[/quote'] I don't want to argue with you but if you want to know, I started programming in VB5 and I think it's fine. With VB. NET, you can quickly build a program that will look like a standard Windows application so it may be a bit more satisfying. Working with C++ might make you focus more on the OOP concepts and less about the visual appearance, which may be a good thing too. But really, the language should be the last of your worries, understanding the basic concepts is way more important. I've started with VB5 and now I know C++, VBScript, Lotus Script, Python, C#, Visual Basic, Java, Javascript, PHP...

Yeah, I'm not saying you can't start with it. :P I'm just personally not recommending it.

I recommend starting with basic C++ in Visual Studio 2012 Express (free): http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9816758

When you are on a tutorial, do NOT go to the next one until you completely understand the one you're working on.

You might know what "cout" does, it prints text to the console, right? But do you know what happens if you remove "using namespace std;" ?

The program won't compile, right? Well, if you add "std::" in front of "cout", it suddenly will again, because "cout" is a member of the "std" namespace. The "using namespace std;", easily put, removes the need to write std:: manually, but this isn't a good practice as you could encounter libraries or your own code having the same names for stuff and will mix with std. So it's always good to use a namespace or/and a prefix for functions and classes. Class functions are okay as they basically use the class as a namespace.

When you are ready to get into graphics, you usually just get into it. If you start searching randomly - you won't get anywhere. Trust me. ;( xD (unless it's easier to find now)

Thank you so much. That was really helpful, cheers.

I started with Python, then did JavaScript, then HTML/CSS, and now I'm learning more python.

A great site to learn from is:

www.codeacademy.com

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

No problem man. :)

Your 'first' programming language is a fairly controversial subject; a lot of people will tell you Java, other people will tell you C/C++, and many others will also tell you Python, or Qt, etc. Personally, I'd like to think that C++ is the best language to start with, but it's fully dependant on your learning curve. Java happens to be a fairly easy language to learn, and it is object oriented (and honestly, is a lot easier to learn than C++).

The strong point of learning Java first is the fact that it's fairly easy to go from it to another language. C++ has a fairly similar structure overall, despite it does objects a little differently. If you are looking at developing applications that will work on any platform? C++ is a good way to go, but Java and Python are also ideal.

Personally, I have a fair bit of experience in quite a few different languages. C++ happens to be compatible with any system (contrary to popular belief, it is also compatible with Mac.), as long as it is compiled (turn from code into program) on that system. Java is the same way, and so is straight C. Python also has that benefit, mind you.

If you have never learned programming before? I'm going to suggest Java. If Java is still too hard? You can always try Python just to get an idea of data structures and things of the such. Java and C++ are your best bets though.

Thenewboston on Youtube does quite a few tutorials ranging on various languages - that's probably your best route instead of going with text-based tutorials (unless you're really good at understanding those). As others have mentioned, it's really a good idea to fully understand each subject before moving on to the next one. Do your best, be patient, and always keep in mind that even the best of programmers make mistakes! No one gets it perfect the first time, and you will always learn more things along the way.

A link to thenewboston's channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston

Good luck to you!

You should definitely start learning JAVA first, and understand the concepts of OOB programming. JAVA is a much more user friendly environment than C++. It will be easy to go to any language once you have a solid understanding of JAVA. I speak from my own experiences other people may have had very different ones.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

My first programming language was c++ and from there you can go into PHP and Arduino quite easily but it depends what you want to program for.

I recommend starting with either HTML (although technically not a programming language, i found it a good place to start), After HTML i would then go onto Visual Basic which by far the easiest programming language i have ever used. After getting your head around Visual Basic you can go ahead and choose a language that you want to learn, i recommend either C++ or Python.

Also if you are keen to start programming the best programming teacher i have ever had is thenewboston's youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston

I'd say start with visual basic as its what the majority of people learn as its what you start with when doing an A-level in computing, in the UK at least

If you are interested in working with websites, I would suggest starting with HTML and CSS. They aren't all that relevant to other programming languages though, so if you are more interested in building apps/games I would start with C++. That is a good object oriented language with many applications and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding tutorials on YouTube or online.

If you are wanting to work with websites, JavaScript would be a good one to learn after mastering the basics of HTML and CSS. Combining the three will allow you to program pretty much anything into a website.

I found my migration from VB to C++ not all that confusing though I did have prior knowledge of java and C# but I don't think that had anything to help in my migration to C++. As long as they keep in mind that placement and wording (syntax) are slightly different there shouldn't be a problem as logic would pretty much be the same, they would just need to learn how to write it. Sure the coding isn't as fluid as say in vb.net or even C# but I wouldn't say its all that bad, And saying VB.net is worst language to learn is kinda disrespectful in a sense and even if true it doesn't get the credit that it deserves just because the elitists think so little of it, remember that not everyone can pick up programming so easily and for some who have difficulties VB might actually be the best place to start or even in some cases the only language they can grasp. Programming is a form of hacking and hacking is to solve problems, so whats wrong with VB.net if its there to help people who want to solve problems and help the community and/or themselves?

I found my migration from VB to C++ not all that confusing though I did have prior knowledge of java and C# but I don't think that had anything to help in my migration to C++. As long as they keep in mind that placement and wording (syntax) are slightly different there shouldn't be a problem as logic would pretty much be the same' date=' they would just need to learn how to write it. Sure the coding isn't as fluid as say in vb.net or even C# but I wouldn't say its all that bad, And saying VB.net is worst language to learn is kinda disrespectful in a sense and even if true it doesn't get the credit that it deserves just because the elitists think so little of it, remember that not everyone can pick up programming so easily and for some who have difficulties VB might actually be the best place to start or even in some cases the only language they can grasp. Programming is a form of hacking and hacking is to solve problems, so whats wrong with VB.net if its there to help people who want to solve problems and help the community and/or themselves?[/quote']

Lol, Java and C# aren't too different from C++. If you know Java or C#, then going over to C++ should be a piece of cake. Granted you know your stuff of course.

Also, VB is just something I despise. It's trying way too hard to be "simple". Anyway, if someone actually has an advantage by learning VB as a first language, then I don't have anything against that of course. I just don't think there are many people who will.

My point is, if you can't handle basic C++, Java or C# when you're learning, then you don't spend enough time programming to ever get better at it or you just don't understand it. Which is completely fine, but maybe programming isn't the right hobby for that person then, aye?

Honestly not trying to be rude. (inb4 you're not doing a very good job)

I still remember writing a little code on Basica back in the 80's (I think it was the 80's?!) lol. Now that you know how old I am someone help me before I turn to dust. I was looking around at that C++ and wow $500 to $13,000 studios. That nice person up there Diventurer gave the link of http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/. Is it able to "compile" <---- is that the word; make a program that will run on its own? I haven't booted up the program just yet cause I figure windows is just going to let me use it for a short time.

I still remember writing a little code on Basica back in the 80's (I think it was the 80's?!) lol. Now that you know how old I am someone help me before I turn to dust. I was looking around at that C++ and wow $500 to $13' date='000 studios. That nice person up there Diventurer gave the link of [url']http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/. Is it able to "compile" <---- is that the word; make a program that will run on its own? I haven't booted up the program just yet cause I figure windows is just going to let me use it for a short time.

You will not need to pay anything at all to get started with C++. :)

Just download http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9816758 and install it, and look at this video for help on how to create your first program:

[ edit: ah, I see, you already downloaded it. :P )

That tutorial will show you how to create a new project, add files and compile and run! :

I suggest to use "std::cin.get();" instead of "getch()" though. (and you won't need to include "conio.h" then, only iostream)

Also, while using "void main()" is valid; I recommend "int main()" or "int main(int argc, char **argv)" (nevermind the latter one for now), because that's the C++ standard.

Hope this helps, and good luck. :)

i had sort of the same question about a month ago back then i only new parts of HTML and a little batch now im in the middel of learning java so far its easy so you might want to consider going with java thenewbosten is a good youtuber he has a series on java you should check it out