120Hz Battle = Asus VG248QE VS BenQ XL2420T

MxZeal

I want to upgrade to a 120 Hz monitor but im debating between these two.

Everywhere i go everyone saids the BENQ XL2420T is the best with no question... but looking at the specs of the VG248QE can someone please tell me which is the better buy?

When i look at these 2 monitors the ASUS one seems to be better in almost every way EVEN PRICE 

144 hz 1ms vs 120hz 5ms? how is the benq better?

The 24" Asus hasn't been out for that long, but its bigger brother, the VG278HE has been. I doubt that many people have tried one, unlike the XL2420T which has been out for a while.

I'm using the VG278HE and I love it, and personally I'd go for the VG248QE as well, assuming its just a smaller version of the VG278HE, which it seems to be.

I like the pexel density of the 24". Ive had both monitors aswell.

Here is some info on the monitors that are compaitble with 3d vision and lightboost.

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon 
(Approximate information, based on at least 3 independent forum user reports. Manufacturers tinker with the monitors all the time, so revisions may produce different results. e.g. the new VG278HR revision of the VG278H monitor.).

ASUS VG278H 27"
+ Better-than-average LightBoost color
+ Easier to enable LightBoost, due to builtin emitter
+ Can exceeds 700:1 contrast ratio in LightBoost (when recalibrated after setting Contrast OSD=75% or 80%)
- LightBoost artifacting (corsstalk) becomes bad if you raise Contrast to 90% instead of 65%. (nearly invisible ghosting at 65% though)

ASUS VG278HE 27"
- This may not be consistent on all VG278HE's but some of them reportedly had a more amplified LCD inversion artifact (pixel checkerboard artifact similiar to this), and hazmatm compared VG278H vs VG278HE and 3 others concurred.
- This is the display reviewed by TFTCentral's Motion Blur Reduction Backlights Article.

ASUS VG248QE 24"
+ Clearer than average LightBoost (lack of crosstalk, lack of faint ghost double-image aftifact) -- no ghosting, no overdrive artifacts, no trailing, nothing at all
+ Best CRT effect according to many (e.g. Vega)
- Poor color. Lower contrast ratio, about 500:1 (reportedly as low as 250:1 with buggy new 320.18+ drivers)
- Occasionally a very faint scanlines effect at the upper-right corner (some samples)

BENQ XL2411T 24"
... Similiar to VG248QE. It uses the same panel as VG248QE.

BENQ XL2420T 24"
+ Very good color for a LightBoost monitor.
- Poor LightBoost trailing artifacts; I've heard a few reports of LCD inversion artifacts (pixel checkerboard artifact, similiar to this). This is a different/older panel than the XL2411T

BENQ XL2720T 27"
+ Very good color for a LightBoost monitor with newest drivers (320.18+)
+ Reportedly can approach nearly 1000:1 contrast ratio in LightBoost
- Poor color with older drivers
- Slight dark ghosting effect during LightBoost, but not too strong

Some monitor samples can unexpectedly have worse attributes (e.g. more LCD inversion artifact -- checkerboard artifact -- than others). For example, while my XL2411T does not have a noticeable LightBoost checkerboard artifact, one person reported theirs had a noticeable version of this artifact. Eventually someone needs to obtain all LightBoost monitors and execute the Great LightBoost Comparison Test. Also, I am creating a new LightBoost FAQ page on Blur Busters (e.g. answers common LightBoost questions with known answers), as a supplement, it should be published within the next two weeks.

Also within the same LightBoost monitor, via monitor menus:
- For a brighter image, increase LightBoost %
- For a dimmer image (but clearer motion), decrease LightBoost %
- For less checkerboard artifact, decrease Contrast %
- For less LightBoost trailing artifacts, decrease Contrast % on monitor to 65%
- For less gamma bleaching effect, decrease Contrast % on monitor to 65%
- For maximum color gamut (when recalibrating with a Spyder4 or i1 Pro), increase Contrast % to 90% before beginning colorimeter calibration. Better colors and contrast will occur, but you will get somewhat worse LightBoost trailing artifacts. In certain cases, it is possible to approach 1000:1 contrast ratio with LightBoost on some of the better 27" models.
...Bottom line, you will be wanting to choose a compromise picture setting based on preferences.

Best Color -- If you want a color/contrast champion for LightBoost, the VG278H and XL2720T is probably your best bet.
Minimum Artifacts -- If you want a fast-responding panel with very clean CRT effect (minimum possible LightBoost artifacts) or minimum possible 3D crosstalk, the VG248QE and XL2411T is your best bet.

Dont forget most color and contrast problems can be altered and made better with a color calibrator. Most of these monitors come from the factory with poor color.

[Official] Debezelled Monitor & Portrait Surround/Eyefinity

How to debezel a ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D monitor

ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D Monitor - REVIEW

PORTRAIT SURROUND VG248QE - 3770k - MVE - SLI TITAN - AX1200i - 800D - HD800 - MUTEKI 7.2

I have finally ordered a VG248QE. I found a demo unit that was about 20% cheaper! I have a BenQ G2420HDBL now and first I wanted a 27" but I went for the 24" anyway. I just want as high fps as possible with my 7970 in BF3.

You will love it lads. Especially if you are coming from a 60hz monitor. My last monitor was the Samsung s27b970d it was 1440p and 60hz. I will never go back to it.

[Official] Debezelled Monitor & Portrait Surround/Eyefinity

How to debezel a ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D monitor

ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D Monitor - REVIEW

PORTRAIT SURROUND VG248QE - 3770k - MVE - SLI TITAN - AX1200i - 800D - HD800 - MUTEKI 7.2

I'll be getting a VG248QE as well. My friends will think that I'm a moron for not buying an IPS screen at that price, but little do they know about the beauty off 120Hz lightboost. B)

I got my vg248qe yesterday and played a bit of bf3 in 144hz on it and it's amazing! Even though I only had about 90-100 fps in fraps on this map it was a huge difference compared to 60hz! It was like when I found 85Hz on my old crt. Much smoother for your eyes.

I have a colormunki screencalibrator and there is always a big difference when you have calibrated a monitor. The original picture is always too cold.

I first had a bit of a problem to find the 144hz setting, it only showed 60hz but after a bit of trial and error it worked.

It was a demo unit with 20% rebate but I could not see that it had even been unboxed, it was as new!

If you already have a 120hz monitor I don't think you can see any difference but from 60hz there is a huge step!

I have vg248qe and I'm loving it. Set up zeromotion blur after reading article in blurbusters forum and it makes a massive difference to fps gaming. It is a little buggy in that it will turn off if monitor is unplugged but I just set it up again. for more info check out http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

if you want a fast monitor then asus and benq I highly recommend.

I love my 144hz Asus monitor.  So much so that I use it for multiplayer FPS gaming over my 27" 1440p ASUS monitor.  On single-player you just can't beat the 1440p though, especially for RTS which I play a bit of.  

It's good to have both of these monitors side by side....you won't regret.  Maybe a little on the $950.00 total price tag.  ;)

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

I have vg248qe and I'm loving it. Set up zeromotion blur after reading article in blurbusters forum and it makes a massive difference to fps gaming. It is a little buggy in that it will turn off if monitor is unplugged but I just set it up again. for more info check out http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

if you want a fast monitor then asus and benq I highly recommend.

Does this only work on nVidia cards or is there some way to make it work on Radeon cards?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Does this only work on nVidia cards or is there some way to make it work on Radeon cards?

Don't get your hopes up, lightboost is part of nvidia 3dvision.

Don't get your hopes up, lightboost is part of nvidia 3dvision.

Yeah figured so.. another reason to get an nVidia card lol

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Yeah figured so.. another reason to get an nVidia card lol

Yeah sorry , I should have mentioned that lol.

Yeah sorry , I should have mentioned that lol.

It says lightboost in the title, so it's pretty obvious ^^

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Well the asus has a glossy bezel from what I can see and thus people are generally going to hate on it, glossy is so bad for monitors, the benq's matte is much better.

It's "glossy" if you get up close on it and move your head from side to side while looking at it.  Not very glossy at all.  If that level of gloss bothers anyone, they should go take a Midol.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

it has a glossy back and bezel but if you don't stair at the back of the monitor all day it shouldn't bug you. I agree though matte is better

Glossy dosn't bother me at all.. i dont care much about bezels