Help picking a motherboard ready for "heavy upgrading"

Hi there. I'm reaaally new with all this thing about building rigs, so that stated I'm sure you guys can help my out with some doubts.

My goal is to build a good rig for video editing and gaming. Right now I don't have the money to spend on all the parts I want... and, here's where I need your wisdom. Even if right now I can't get all the stuff I want for my rig, I want a motherboard capable of handling any future upgrade, from a "regular" CPU, 8gb of RAM DDR3, to everything post i7-4930K, 64gb RAM DDR4, and a pair of GPUs (just to give and example) since I believe that investing in a really, really good motherboard right now, even if nothing's gonna save me from ever upgrading it or eventually changing to a new PC, at least won't let me worry about upgrading it to a high extent in the near future.

Once again, just a noob here trying to figure a few things out.

Thank you all in advance!

PS. This was the motherboard that kept me thinking about all this stuff: P9X79-E WS

Wants to do heavy upgrading ---> picks extinct platform

Your best bet is to save money, and spend it on x99.

X79 is old old old.  Do not get it.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Hi there. I'm reaaally new with all this thing about building rigs, so that stated I'm sure you guys can help my out with some doubts.

My goal is to build a good rig for video editing and gaming. Right now I don't have the money to spend on all the parts I want... and, here's where I need your wisdom. Even if right now I can't get all the stuff I want for my rig, I want a motherboard capable of handling any future upgrade, from a "regular" CPU, 8gb of RAM DDR3, to everything post i7-4930K, 64gb RAM DDR4, and a pair of GPUs (just to give and example) since I believe that investing in a really, really good motherboard right now, even if nothing's gonna save me from ever upgrading it or eventually changing to a new PC, at least won't let me worry about upgrading it to a high extent in the near future.

Once again, just a noob here trying to figure a few things out.

Thank you all in advance!

PS. This was the motherboard that kept me thinking about all this stuff: P9X79-E WS

P9X79-E WS Is a great board but if you didn't already buy a CPU I'd go with the 5820k and a 2011-v3 board.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Don't listen to the most of what they tell you. Go X99 but spend as much as you can to get the highest CPU on this Platform 5960X > 5930K > 5820K

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Thanks for the fast responses. I used that board as a reference, not because it's the one I am using or intending to use, once again, noob here.

Also, why would you recommend those boards?, I want to understand as much as you guys are willing to explain!. Thanks!

Thanks for the fast responses. I used that board as a reference, not because it's the one I am using or intending to use, once again, noob here.

Also, why would you recommend those boards?, I want to understand as much as you guys are willing to explain!. Thanks!

X99 is the direct successor replacement for X79.

X79 can only used the i7-4xxx extreme CPUs. X99 uses the new i7-5xxx CPUs (and DDR4 RAM).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>