Twin Frozr V vs ACX 2

Scottland567

I am going to buy a gtx 980, the twin frozr is available to me right now, but I would have to wait a month or so for the evga. Which should I buy and why?

Kind regards, Scott.

I am going to buy a gtx 980, the twin frozr is available to me right now, but I would have to wait a month or so for the evga. Which should I buy and why?

Kind regards, Scott.

The evga acx 2.0 cooler looks okay but I'd opt for the twin frozr 5 cooler. I think the only observable difference on the acx cooler is the better fans & more obscure cut out for the edition/logo'ing

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The evga acx 2.0 cooler looks okay but I'd opt for the twin frozr 5 cooler. I think the only observable difference on the acx cooler is the better fans & more obscure cut out for the edition/logo'ing

Thank you for the input, I'll leave this topic open to see more views, this will help me make my mind up.

The EVGA cards have thermal issues due to them cutting costs on the manufacturing of the cooler. I would go MSI 

Life.exe is missing

The MSI cooler is pretty great, but I'd wait for the EVGA ACX, because red PC components are tacky and ugly IMO.

Twin Frozr looks awesome. However evga is probably the best company to buy from because of support and warranty. I love me some evga. It's a tough call.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

The EVGA cards have thermal issues due to them cutting costs on the manufacturing of the cooler. I would go MSI 

oh, come on, there is a slight offset of like 3mm, there is no benchmark yet that it proves that there is a problem with temperatures.

Twin Frozr looks awesome. However evga is probably the best company to buy from because of support and warranty. I love me some evga. It's a tough call.

I think he should go with msi because i can not agree with you on the warranty and support thing. my buddy had to rma 4 times because he always go a faulty refurbished gtx 770 acx back. There were problems with all of them. Things like not working boost, bare copper instead of platet heatpipes, scratched shrouds, heavy coil whine on multiple cards and ticking fans. also the card he has no goes up to 80°c instantly when starting a game while being at stock speeds. The evga cards didn't oc well either (compared to my 770) and get kinda loud.

Maybe it's some kind of bad luck but it is just hard to believe when you have to rma your card 4 times and always get cards back that are even worse than the card you sent in. 

That is just what i know first hand from evgas support and warranty. 

wow... pretty empty here...

I think he should go with msi because i can not agree with you on the warranty and support thing. my buddy had to rma 4 times because he always go a faulty refurbished gtx 770 acx back. There were problems with all of them. Things like not working boost, bare copper instead of platet heatpipes, scratched shrouds, heavy coil whine on multiple cards and ticking fans. also the card he has no goes up to 80°c instantly when starting a game while being at stock speeds. The evga cards didn't oc well either (compared to my 770) and get kinda loud.

Maybe it's some kind of bad luck but it is just hard to believe when you have to rma your card 4 times and always get cards back that are even worse than the card you sent in. 

That is just what i know first hand from evgas support and warranty. 

So he bought a refurbished card, and had to keep replacing them with more refurbished cards? That is not the most uncommon thing I have ever heard of. I mean, you are replacing a broken cards with cards that were broken before. I know it's not right but still...

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

So he bought a refurbished card, and had to keep replacing them with more refurbished cards? That is not the most uncommon thing I have ever heard of. I mean, you are replacing a broken cards with cards that were broken before. I know it's not right but still...

no he bought a factory new one wich was faulty and because of something (I'm not 100% sure but i think because it was after more than 2 months) he didn't get a new one from rma, but a refurbished one. that is not cool at all... 

no he bought a factory new one wich was faulty and because of something (I'm not 100% sure but i think because it was after more than 2 months) he didn't get a new one from rma, but a refurbished one. that is not cool at all... 

Sorry but you just stepped into the territory of me not believing you. 

Sorry but you just stepped into the territory of me not believing you. 

What a shame. The friend i meant is member of the forum too. "Heizoelwalther".

Why would i lie? seriously how would that help me?. I just want to tell why i'm not recomending evga gpus. he bought a new one in a store here in germany and it had flaws so he rmaed. but as i said he got a refurbished card back wich wasn't working very good. The rest of the story is what i told you. now he's stuck with a card that doesn't oc well, gets to 80°c in no time (even after changing thermal paste) and having coilwhine under heavy load.

I just asked him. i was wrong with the reason why he didn't get a new one back. he told me that they told him that they could not send out new cards so they would "repair" his card. But it was clear they didn't repair his card but give him other cards every time. scratched shrouds, thermal paste on the card (not where it belongs) and non-plated heatpipes. Thats the truth. and he also just told me that the voltage-controll on one card wasn't working correctly and thats the reason why the one card didn't boost right (without extra offset) 

evga for the warranty. msi warrenty is a joke, you get 30 days or a second hand scratched card thats probably doa.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

No, they don't have any thermal issues what-so-ever and there's no "cost cutting" going on either. The cooler was designed as it is for a reason, people just don't understand why and think they know better than EVGA's design engineers. Several reviews have surfaced of the EVGA cards with the ACX 2.0 cooler and temps have shown to be very competitive with the other manufacturer's coolers. The ACX 2.0 cooler also implements the 0db feature which means the fans do not run until the GPU reaches a certain temperature. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The MSI cooler is pretty great, but I'd wait for the EVGA ACX, because red PC components are tacky and ugly IMO.

I care more about performance than looks

I care more about performance than looks

Same GPU, not a performance difference here, if there is a small clockspeed difference it doesn't matter, just change the speeds (OC) and it's the final result.

Both have reference design PCBs, no final performance discrepancy.

Same GPU, not a performance difference here, if there is a small clockspeed difference it doesn't matter, just change the speeds (OC) and it's the final result.

Both have reference design PCBs, no final performance discrepancy.

I think I've pretty much made my mind up on evga, I've had their cards before and have been more than happy with them, but how long until the acx 2 release?