Coil noise and GTX 660 ti problems

Icycookies

When i was playing i heard coil noise, so recently i got an rma for the graphics card. I put the new card in and i heard the noise still.Now the card i got is going up 85C and sometime the fan usage goes all the way up to 100%. Is the rma a bad card? Should i keep the original graphics card and try for another rma to see if the next one doe not have coil noise? What else can cause coil noise?

That 85c is worrying. What kind of case/Airflow setup do you have. Coil whine is basically the electromagnetic coils on the card vibrating. Easiest way I've found to get it to happen is to push the card past 1000+ frames, sometimes less. A few examples are the Loading screens in Max Payne 3, any menu in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or the beginning of Alan Wake. There is only one way I know to fix it which involves a hot glue gun, but it's honestly not worth it, especially on a brand new card. Is it a constant whine or only when you do certain things?

That is the replacement card going to 85c while gaming. The original card i have goes up 68c while gaming, so i am using this one right now. No it is only when i am playing certain games. Is the noise from the cards or somewhere else?

Well that's up for you to check. Start whichever game/games is causing it and see where it's coming from in your case. It's how I found out S.T.A.L.K.E.R. causes my 7950 to coil whine. It's possible it could be a coil on your motherboard

if it is a replacement card they can send you a refurbished one, I had a gtx 460 that did the norm temps but then would just crash games if you just revived it semi recently call them and they should be able to work it out for you! I also agree with "Damaging Excess" you can try and fix coil wine but its not worth it if its a new card that should work.

I would re-RMA and ask for another card, just say its overheating while playing games. If the card they gave you was a refurbished unit then something could still be wrong with it.

As for coil noise, it could be from: GPU,MOBO, or PSU. so you have to test while playing a game and then listen to see where the sound is being emitted from. Other than that, I know you could stop the noise by using superglue or nail polish.

Basically the coil is vibrating because of the current passing though it.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Try turning on V-Sync. That will limit your FPS to 60 and stop the whining.

That 85c is worrying. What kind of case/Airflow setup do you have. Coil whine is basically the electromagnetic coils on the card vibrating. Easiest way I've found to get it to happen is to push the card past 1000+ frames, sometimes less. A few examples are the Loading screens in Max Payne 3, any menu in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or the beginning of Alan Wake. There is only one way I know to fix it which involves a hot glue gun, but it's honestly not worth it, especially on a brand new card. Is it a constant whine or only when you do certain things?
Then why do graphics cards get coil whine? Maybe because they have coils?

Try turning on V-Sync. That will limit your FPS to 60 and stop the whining.
Vsync doesn't always work. Especially if the game is coded terribly like, gonna sound like a broken record at this point haha, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

What card is it?

- Stock?

- MSI?

- Asus?

If we know the model then we can help more specifically. If its stock, then from what i hear on the grape vine a lot of stock graphics cards have coil whine issues. As for the temps, well, it will either be bad stock cooling, insufficient case cooling or something wrong with the card if its an MSI/Asus.

It is a MSI GTX 660 ti power edition.

Might the pci slot be the one that is causing the coil noise?

Update: Getting a replacement motherboard i will update if the noise persist.

Personally, I had coil noise. I thought that was a GPU, but after changing my PSU everything runs cool, so check your PSU

I too, have the MSI card and it coil whines like mad. I've opened an RMA with Corsair with concerns over the power supply. I would do the same with the manufacture of your power supply and see how you get on.

Problem is still present,so now i will get a replacement power supply.

I have an MSI 660 ti and I have no coil whine whatsoever, powered by a few year old TX750 from good 'ol Corsair.

I have an MSI 660 ti and I have no coil whine whatsoever' date=' powered by a few year old TX750 from good 'ol Corsair.[/quote']

The same power supply as myself, yet my card coil whines constantly....so I feel I'm just unlucky with the unit I received. I am going to swap it out today and try an old power supply form a previous PC and see if it nicks the problem in the butt. Either way, my Corsair power supply is being sent back for replacement.

So i got the power supply and yeah the coil whine is still there. I also read this on the hardocp website "We also observed some coil whine coming from the card, especially when overclocked when some games were at their intro and loading screens and the observed frame rate was over several hundred frames per second. During gameplay and at the desktop, the coil whine was not observed". So this card will whine only in games. Should i just get the ASUS GTX 660ti?

So i got the power supply and yeah the coil whine is still there. I also read this on the hardocp website "We also observed some coil whine coming from the card' date=' especially when overclocked when some games were at their intro and loading screens and the observed frame rate was over several hundred frames per second. During gameplay and at the desktop, the coil whine was not observed". So this card will whine only in games. Should i just get the ASUS GTX 660ti?[/quote']

both my 660 ti power edition and evga 285 gtx have coil whine when siting in games menus that dont have a frames cap. never had it in game as far as I can remember.

I would say that's its from the "bottlenecking" of the card it's probably just the power that is supplied being dialled down. Yes it's annoying but there isn't much you can do about it.

SYSTEM SPECS

CPU> Intel 4790k< GPU> EVGA GTX970< SSD> Crucial MX200 250Gb< HDD> Seagate Barracuda 2Tb<
Cooling> Corsair H100i< Case> Corsair Air 540< PSU> Seasonic X-Series 650W< RAM> 8Gb Kingston HyperX<