A question for fellow Aussies

Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem...

I live down south, in country VIC, and for around 1-3 hours every day, my internet either constantly drops out every 5 minutes or so for around a minute or it slows right down to dialup speeds and even trying to download pictures from imgur is near impossible. I know someone who lives in the northern suburbs of Sydney and she has the same problem, only worse. Her mum rang up Telstra and they said they're "having problems in the area".

My mum has seen some contractors laying cables in the area and I know they were supposed to start construction on the NBN in my area around this time last year. A week or so ago I saw some contractors laying cables to the house next door, which has recently been renovated in the last few years and doesn't look like it'd need rewiring or anything. What I've been experiencing with the cutouts would be what I'd expect if they were pulling cables out and plugging them back in at the nodes/exchange, but I doubt that they wouldn't be able to keep the connection running while doing that. I'm on Telstra.

What do you guys think? Is anyone else having the same trouble? If so, are you with Telstra or someone else?

If this is FTTH or even FTTN, I'm super excited. If not, well... Super disappointed with Telstra.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

I have recently had the same thing not nearly as bad it cuts out a few times a month but it has only started since nbn construction has started so id say thats either your problem if it never use to happen or u have corroded copper and just gotta wait it out till u get nbn also if they were laying green cable out the front of your neighbors and your house is on the rollout map u will be getting FTTH theres only trial sites for FTTN atm.

-Snip-

I'm with Optus and I get really good speeds without dropouts, but then again I am in Melbourne. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I am so jealous :(

My ADSL2+ connection is super unreliable as well. Also I don't even get actual ADSL2+ speeds, more like ADSL2 speeds in reality.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

My internet used to do that it's a pain in the ass. Just stopped and never happened again...and now i've said that it'll probably happen again...

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

I have recently had the same thing not nearly as bad it cuts out a few times a month but it has only started since nbn construction has started so id say thats either your problem if it never use to happen or u have corroded copper and just gotta wait it out till u get nbn also if they were laying green cable out the front of your neighbors and your house is on the rollout map u will be getting FTTH theres only trial sites for FTTN atm.

Yeah she said she saw them laying orange cables around the neighborhood, I didn't see the cables they were putting in next door though. I think the government probably signed contracts with contractors around here back when Labor was in government so hopefully I'll see some FTTH. If not though, FTTN is still better than ADSL2+.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Yeah she said she saw them laying orange cables around the neighborhood, I didn't see the cables they were putting in next door though. I think the government probably signed contracts with contractors around here back when Labor was in government so hopefully I'll see some FTTH. If not though, FTTN is still better than ADSL2+.

FTTN should be decent enough for most people, it really goes down to how far away you are from the node though. I have yet to see my town put on the rollout map, I would prefer not to use fixed wireless lol.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I have been with a few ISP, well I have delt with a few. I have stuck with iinet and no matter what I havent had any issues with their line speeds. Yes ADSL2+ but shit, I dont do as much downloading as I want to.

I've got Internode (IINET) 'Easy Reach' which is actually pretty reliable and speedy. While it does only go 1.5MB/s down and a ping of 26ms I have almost never had often dropouts so I'm pretty happy. But I still await the day when we get put on the rollout map.

I've been with Adam Internet in SA for over 10 years. They were recently bought out by iinet I believe and since then my adsl2+ speeds have halved and I'm getting 4-5 dropouts a day. Time to change I think.....